Learning to play the piano

As the title says. I'm 56 and looking to retire in the not too distant future. Looking to find an option to popping out to the pub when I'm bored.

I've noticed some very cheap keyboards available, are they crap? Would one be suitable to practice with?

How difficult is it to learn to play piano. I am a complete absolute beginner with no musical knowledge but good with my hands.

Hi Blackydog, plenty cheap but good Casio and Yamaha keyboards about. I was similar to you but 62 and now have two keyboards and 8 guitars.

I started on a Casio CTK 691 and still use it.

Plenty of free instruction on the internet for beginners, as the saying goes "just do it", good fun if you want it to be.

Just don't take it too seriously.

Thanks Treeman. What age did you start? How long before you could play something in full?

62 and did not know anything about music.

I set off with a song book with songs like Sailing by Rod Stewart and just learned to play the melody. Gets you off to a flyer and you quickly learn the notes.

You would be playing the melody in a few hours.

I play mainly guitar but still use the keyboard for song writing. After six years I can play melody with my right hand and chords/arpeggios with my left hand....

unfortunately not at the same time.

This is all self taught Blackydog and I will get beat up by "proper" keyboard players.

So much on the internet that will get you going. Have fun that's the main thing, I have.