Carol Elvidge, Swallownest

I would like to be able to say hello to Carol who was a chef at the sorting office Pond Street in the 70's and then at Swallonest primary School. Maiden name Elvidge and lived on Aughton Road, Swallownest.

I remember the Elvidge family and seem to remember they lived at the Aughton end of Aughton Road - on th hill we called Diggers Hill then

I vaguely remember Carol Elvidge but she would have been a bit younger than myself (now 78.1/2) - I remember a Ted Elvidge, wonder of it was a relative

I went to Swallownest Infants School and then the Junior School which at the time was in prefabricated classrooms across the road in the old playing field near the Miners Welfare Hall. I left there in July 1951 and went to Woodhouse Grammar School

I liver at 14 Aughton Road opposite the doctors surgery, my mother had Jessie's Ladies Hairdressers and my father supplied and repaired TV's - Jessie and Victor Hutchinson

1951- 2 we moved to Park Hill

I moved from Swallownest to Driffield in East Yorkshire in late 1967 and in early 2007 to Malaysia, which is our permanent home but we still keep our house in Driffield for visits there. I spend about 2 weeks every month in Dubai

I remember a lot of names from Swallownest school and am still in very regular contact with 3 or 4 of them

I will send them an e mail later today and see what they can remember - but any reply will be delayed due to the different time zones - Malaysia is 8 hours ahead of the UK

7-50am here, clear blue sky,  89 degrees and will be 95/98 by noon. This is our winter start of December to end of February - otherwise year round hot summer - no seasons - and !!!!!!!!!! low cost of living ------ Petrol - GB Pounds 1.23 per gallon - every petrol company including Shell, Esso, etc etc has to sell at the same price throughout the country - that is The Law - driving a 4 litre car (Daimler-Jaguar)  only costs me about GBP 25-00 month for daily travel to and from my offices and some business mileage - costs even less per month for my wife's S.280 Mercedes

Best Wishes to UK - Victor

Victor Marshall Hutchinson - ex Swallownest

how lucky can you get victor, 130 per litre here regards

Cost of living here is quite low cost for example a 4 bed 3 bath link house will cost equivalent to GBP 60,000-00 - example place is a faily large condo with 5 beds, 4 baths, laundry room kitchen hallway etc etc - 3 parking bays in out 5 level multi storey car park - nice outdoor pool, gym, sauna tennis courts all facilities are free of course, 24 hour patrolling security guards (which is faily comman in Malaysia) electronic entrance barriers and building entrance doors - electricit96y costs me average GBP 7-50 per month that's for all items such as fridge freezer, bottled cold water machine, cooker air con units ) ceiling fans (6) lights, shower heaters  ;ights etc etc

Water/sewerage charge GBP 3-40 month, rates, Malaysia 7 channel tv stations, garden maintenance, building maintenance/painting/daily cleaning etc and Security Guards the fee is GBP 72-45 month   

But that's for a high end condominium bought 2007 for GBP 68,000-00 and now valued at GBP 170,000-00 which is classed as mega expensive here and out of reach of  Malays where salaries are from GBP 200-00 month and a company MD will get GBP 1,500-00 month plus car/expenses and maybe an annual bonus of GBP 900-00 if he has made the company profitable - office staff teachers etc about GBP 560-00 month

From a womans point of view, supermarket food shopping is maximum GBP 55/60-00 week for a family of 4 no adults to wat very well indeed. Some items are price controlled by the government - chicken, mutton, beef, cooking oil, rice, flour etc - government subsidised. To years ago there was a restriction started here to prevent people from Singapore driving across the bridge into Malaysia to food shop and fill up with petrol to stop them taking advantage of Malaysian food subsidies - similar thin also with Malaysia/Thailand Border - for petrol if the vehicle is not a Malaysian registered vehicle with Malaysian number plates the driver can only buy the top price 97 Octane petrol,  cannot buy the 95 octane. Cars from Singapore with black number plates with white letters/numbers can only cross into Malaysia between midnight Friday and Midnight Sunday unless they have a permit to work here. - cars with red number plates and white letters/numbers can cross anytime into Malaysia

In Singapore when a car is 10 years old it has to be taken off the road - after that age only can be registered as a Classic Vehicle  

Income tax is low and you can deduct things like medical items, doctor fees, hospital check up fees, and many other items not allowed in the UK - even get a tax allowance if you have internet connection in your house, or if you buy a computer even for home uses and not business 

I always eat breakfast in a restaurant on the way to the office each morning and the costs averages GBP 1-35/1-40  - dinner in a top end restaurant costs about GBP 75-00 for 4 persons, many courses, pre-dinner drinks, at least 2 bottles of wine but in the small shop houses and cafes dinner for 4 persons can be GBP 4-90 (total for the 4 persons)  for starter, chicken, rice, roti (bread)

Even low income families eat out with children because it is less cost that buying the ingredients and cooking at home

Computer train or monorail from my nearest station into Kuala Lumpur which is about 16 miles costs GBP 0.60 each way, bus is even cheaper

Of course the bonus is all year round summer - today, right now, at 12-25pm it is 94 degrees and blue sky - then there are the shirt low cost flights to places such as Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Bali etc where you can go Friday after work and come back late Sunday evening or early Monday morning

So, life is good here particularly with UK salaries/car/expenses etc

Hope you find this interesting - Best Wishes - Victor

Hi Victor, thanks for your reply. The Aughton family may have been relatives but Carol lived within easy walking distance of Swallownest centre.

Regards.