Allergies today..

Is one somehow less valid than another? (

If we are debating whether allergies are more common, it's relevant. I got a rash as a child with rubbing Vicks on my chest, but I don't tell people I suffer from allergies.

If we are debating whether allergies are more common, it's relevant. I got a rash as a child with rubbing Vicks on my chest, but I don't tell people I suffer from allergies.

Thats because you havnt described what an allergy is though...

The thread started just mentioning allergies and until your first post nobody had mentioned anything to indicate they weren't talking about medically verifiable ones.

Nobody mentioned either way, it was another post that stated...'We're discussing medically verified honest to goodness life threatening allergy here', when actually the thread didn't state medically verified or not and neither did I, I never referred to any specific allergy only how I have noticed how so many people love to give things a label.

Edited by ll49

Nobody mentioned either way, it was another post that stated...'We're discussing medically verified honest to goodness life threatening allergy here', when actually the thread didn't state medically verified or not and neither did I, I never referred to any specific allergy only how I have noticed how so many people love to give things a label.

You're quite right about the original post - it was simply a comment about the number of folk who suffer from "whatever" these days compared to none-that-I-know-about in my schooldays.

It stemmed from the unfortunate lad with 28 different allegies being interviewed on TV - let's hope he grows out of some of 'em otherwise his life is going to be a miserable trawl of reading food packaging, checking what his clothes are made of, etc., etc.

The only thing I don't eat is strawberries. Not sure why, but I used to be physically ill after doing so, so have learnt to leave them alone. Interestingly, I can eat strawberry yoghurts - which claim to have real fruit - with no ill effects. (Curious, that! Makes you wonder....)

That said, I wouldn't consider it an allergy, or give it a name.

It's just that I "don't get on" with them!

Some posters prefer to argue and score points over the detail, instead of actually discussing the issue.

Some posters prefer to argue and score points over the detail, instead of actually discussing the issue.

I’ve noticed. Very odd!

More people are suffering from allergies because of new products like air freshener, (esp sprays and plug ins.) Scented candles,laundry products with various smells etc, shampoos with added aromas etc...need i go on...At the end of the day theyre chemicals... fact.

Back in the day we werent cooped up in the house on game consuls etc, we were out in the fresh air. I know from personal experience , what its like to be out in the fresh air then go into someones home with plug ins everywhere. I cough, i sneeze , i wheeze. I didnt have this issue before these products became the norm.so there you have it :-)

Edited by Guest