Jerk Hut takeaway High Street

Walked past today and saw an advertising board outside the shop offering 10% discount to students. Fair enough. But a 12% discount to ACS students, which I believe means Afro Caribbeans.

I'm not after starting a witchhunting thread but this cannot be right. I'm all for fairness to everyone but this made me cross.

This is very unfair, it should be the same for everyone.

Walked past today and saw an advertising board outside the shop offering 10% discount to students. Fair enough. But a 12% discount to ACS students, which I believe means Afro Caribbeans.

I'm not after starting a witchhunting thread but this cannot be right. I'm all for fairness to everyone but this made me cross.

Some students are from very rich families 10% off should be for every one or not at all.

As the business owners, I assume they can charge what they want to who they want.

If it bothers you and others, vote with your feet and go elsewhere, I would. Plenty of snap places in Sheffield.

Angel1

As the business owners, I assume they can charge what they want to who they want.

If it bothers you and others, vote with your feet and go elsewhere, I would. Plenty of snap places in Sheffield.

Angel1

It does bother me in fact. And I wouldn’t eat there. The world will never be equal while this kind of stuff is happening. And I’m not meaning to sound dramatic before anyone suggests.

It’s racial discrimination and could be an offence under the racial discrimination act.

They can jerk off with that kind of behaviour!

Its not unfair at all. They don't have to offer any discounts if they don't want to. Or they can offer whatever discounts they want, and to whoever they want. They could offer a 99% discount to left footed Jedi worshippers for all I care. Infact, I'd never heard of the place until now, but thanks to their so called unfair practices I now know about them and might pop in to try their wares.

It should be the people of Sheffield getting a discount we keep these businesses going all year round.

How sure are you ACS means Afro Caribbean students? Did you ask the business?

I have my doubts, but if this is true, it's not on and it's not legal.

But i'll reserve judgment until I've been in and had it confirmed.

A random group of people gets an extra 8 pence off the cost of their meal.... I hope they have taken on extra staff to cope with the rush!

Might possibly be the Hallam University Afro-Caribbean Society. This sounds like good marketing to me. If I ran a shop selling running shoes, I might offer a special discount to Sheffield Running Club members as they'll be a large part of my target market. Similarly students interested in afro-caribbean culture might be particularly into the food of that region. Therefore the discount effectively says 'come spend your cash here'.

Now are you folks gonna be angry because you're not able to join the society because you're not students, and therefore unable to get the extra discount?

How sure are you ACS means Afro Caribbean students? Did you ask the business?

I have my doubts, but if this is true, it's not on and it's not legal.

But i'll reserve judgment until I've been in and had it confirmed.

I think it actually stands for Afro-Caribbean Society - a one of the many societies at the University. Any student can join, you don't have to be of Afro-Caribbean origin, just have an interest in the area (or like visiting Jamaica!).

So it's not actually racist at all, more Uni-societyist.