Problem with a Used Car Dealer in Sheffield

Car dealer can (and thats can as there are a lot of good ones out there) be absolute gits to work with. I purchased one from a place in Barnsley which had some issues that needed sorting. all reported within the 30 days and "repaired". 1 month later same issue came up so left car with them under strict instruction to investigate but not repair (turned out to be a erg valve needing replacing).

As i'd reported it under the warranty guy offered to "go halves" with me. I got a price and instructed him not to do the work as i was away and wanted to get alternate prices.

He did the work despite me putting in writing that he wasn't to. Cut long story short when got back he wanted £200 for "my half" of the job on an invoice with no breakdown. Done my research and knew he could have don't the job for less than £200 or just blanked it off for £50.

He threatened to call the police as i was disputing the invoice so told him i would pay so i could take the vehicle and write "paid under duress" (i think thats the advised wording) on the invoice and take him to court. Guy got aggressive, slammed the keys on the table and told me to get out.

Reading some of his reviews it looks like he uses the "i'll pay half" a lot on repairs and people get fooled into paying the full price.

Morale is, stand your ground, know the law and what advice trading standards can give you. Put everything in writing and don't be afraid to use Trading Standards or the threat of court.

Hi geared, I have sent you a private message as your post has some interesting information, I hope you can advise me further.

---------- Post added 10-10-2018 at 17:40 ----------

Thanks geared for your help.

Can anyone advise me on the major defect regarding the brake pipe being excessively corroded. Would this have been visible on the original MOT, I assume corrosion does not happen overnight.

Corrosion doesn't happen overnight but one tester's definition of excessive can differ from another's. Unfortunately if it has failed on that, then 'repair' means replace, as once rust has appeared on the surface, the pipe wall has been weakened and is most likely to fail under maximum braking effort which is when you need them to work.

Although brake pipe and unions are relatively cheap, many rear pipes are made in one piece which can be a pain to fit hence the high labour costs.

I have got Trading Standards involved and they are looking into a few things for me. With regards to the MOT I am a bit unsure of what you last two posters mean, maybe its just me but I will explain a bit more as I really need some clarification as to where I stand.

The MOT certificate says the car failed - Repair immediately (major defects) - Horn not working, Headlamp aim too high Offside Front, Brake pipe excessively corroded Nearside Rear.

Then Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories) - Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened, nearside front and offside front. Can anyone advise me on the major defect regarding the brake pipe being excessively corroded. Would this have been visible on the original MOT, I assume corrosion does not happen overnight.

I know you have said that it is up to the dealer to prove that I caused the damage but he won't listen to me. Its very frustrating.

Every thought the garage you have taken it to maybe just wanting work. You can easily turn a slightly rusty brake pipe from no comment to a fail! As it's all at the testers digression and many jobs make jobs up for more money!

How long is the time between the two tests?

If it is only a couple of months then it is highly unlikely that the brake lines have gone from OK to excessively corroded in such a short time. At the very least, it would have appeared as 'Brake pipe slightly corroded near side rear' as an advisory on the first MOT.

One of the two test centres isn't testing thoroughly and I would suspect the first as they seem to be doing 'tame' MOTs on substandard cars for a dishonest dealer. Maybe pointing this out to the dealer and saying that you are considering reporting the original MOT test station to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency may give you some leverage with him. ;)

Yes I agree, if it wasn't even an advisory item on the first MOT then it definitely points to a dodgy job as it's now failed only a few short weeks later.

Another thing that needs to be mentioned should this end up in court.

Selling substandard cars with dodgy MOT certificates is a big No-No, any judge will come down hard on a dealer for doing that.

There was exactly 30 days between the MOT's. And yes testers do see things differently but the one we have used was told we wouldn't be having any work done there from the off so really have no need to make up jobs that don't need doing. There were no advisories on the original MOT certificate to do with the brakes at all. The dealer eventually contacted me yesterday and I told him how this situation stands. He wants 24 hours to think about the matter!

There was exactly 30 days between the MOT's. And yes testers do see things differently but the one we have used was told we wouldn't be having any work done there from the off so really have no need to make up jobs that don't need doing. There were no advisories on the original MOT certificate to do with the brakes at all. The dealer eventually contacted me yesterday and I told him how this situation stands. He wants 24 hours to think about the matter!

No.

A brake pipe isn't going to go from OK to severely corroded in 30 days even driving on salty roads in the depths of winter and certainly not in late summer when most days have been dry.

Regardless of the outcome with the dealer, I strongly suggest that you raise your concerns about the original MOT with the DVSA as although many aspects of the MOT test are unnecessarily strict, corroded brake pipes is something that should NEVER be overlooked.

I don't know how easy it would be to do, but a good clear time-stamped photograph of the corroded brake pipe would be a good idea to keep as evidence. And if the original MOT tester is a mate of the car dealer and makes a habit of doing 'soft MOTs', I'm sure the last thing they want is the DVSA poking about their business.

As I said earlier, the threat of reporting his MOT tester could give you some leverage with him as I'm sure he would rather give you your money back than risk his mate's business.

Can't believe this man! I did as he asked and rang him after 6pm today to be told he won't deal with the problem as his 'brother' sold us the car, although he is the director of the company.

Rang the brother and he won't accept any responsibility and has told me to take him and the mot centre to court. He also told me that he works between the hours of 10am and 5pm so if I want to discuss anything with him I need to contact him between these times. Unbelievable, why didn't the owner tell me this earlier in the day instead of having me wait until after 6pm. Totally fed up with these time wasters, I hope they can sleep at night.

Can't believe this man! I did as he asked and rang him after 6pm today to be told he won't deal with the problem as his 'brother' sold us the car, although he is the director of the company.

Rang the brother and he won't accept any responsibility and has told me to take him and the mot centre to court. He also told me that he works between the hours of 10am and 5pm so if I want to discuss anything with him I need to contact him between these times. Unbelievable, why didn't the owner tell me this earlier in the day instead of having me wait until after 6pm. Totally fed up with these time wasters, I hope they can sleep at night.

Get onto vosa about the dodgy mot here= https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-an-mot

Get back in touch with trading standards and see what they advise in regards to how to proceed. I hope you do take the cowboy to court as I think he is hoping you will just give up.

Thank you to everyone on here that has given me advice on this matter. I have now written to all parties concerned and given this company a final few days to cough up the money. I will keep you informed of the outcome when I hear anything. Next step though is definitely court action, they have had one last chance and theres no going to be anymore.

Court action is not as simple as it has been made-out to be on here. Is it a registered company or person or persons "trading as" The summons has to go to the right person and even if (as is more than likely) it is undefended, therefore judgement will be in your favour, the money still has to be recovered. "I'm self employed, I just work here, it's my brothers/uncles company". These people seem as though they know their way around the system, be careful you do not end-up pouring good money after bad - court fees, Bailiff fees etc. are expensive.