Problem with a Used Car Dealer in Sheffield

Used cars are a nightmare to buy I know it’s more expensive but new car sales are much safer not just because of the obvious reasons but it’s also far more competitive as it’s much easy-to compare like for like  

5 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

Used cars are a nightmare to buy I know it’s more expensive but new car sales are much safer not just because of the obvious reasons but it’s also far more competitive as it’s much easy-to compare like for like  

We could start a thread about this, but buying a car new is one of the biggest possible wastes of money you can make in life, topped only by leasing I suspect.

On 20/07/2019 at 07:21, Cyclone said:

We could start a thread about this, but buying a car new is one of the biggest possible wastes of money you can make in life, topped only by leasing I suspect.

Not for me as you can get massive discounts now my current Fiesta was  nearly 17k list and got it for 13k after using carwow and quoting it at the dealer, this was less than they were selling nearly new ones for.

That sounds like a good deal.  But how would it compare to buying a 2 year old equivalent?

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

That sounds like a good deal.  But how would it compare to buying a 2 year old equivalent?

Not sure and the discounts seem lower at present.I agree with your basic point I only buy new with a hefty discount and Fords seem quite good for this.The net does seem to make buying new cheaper than ever if you shop round no wonder dealers are struggling.

On 19/07/2019 at 21:55, Cyclone said:

Presumably the act of taking the court action is a matter of public record and can't possibly be considered to be libel, it's a verifiable thing that is truly happening...

Indeed, as long as you keep what you say factual. 

If you say ‘Grab-it & Run Motors sold me a car which was unroadworthy and refused to refund my money so I took them to court which found in my favour and awarded me my money back’, they can’t touch you as that is a statement of fact which can be evidenced.

If however you say ‘Grab-it & Run Motors are a bunch of robbing b’s who rip people off and I had to take them to court to get my money back, they could sue you for libel because you would have to prove to a court that they both stole from you and others and that they intended to steal from you, which you wouldn’t be able to do.

Even before you win though, you could say "I am taking GB&R Motors to court because I claim that they sold me an unroadworthy vehicle".

Yea but the forum doesn't wanna get in any way involved over two parties legal issues.

So it's probably best to just post up a link to the judgement and let anyone who is interested follow it, no issues whatsoever that way.

On 21/07/2019 at 13:13, Cyclone said:

Even before you win though, you could say "I am taking GB&R Motors to court because I claim that they sold me an unroadworthy vehicle".

And then they’ll wade in with “it was fine when you got it” etc etc. 

They can obviously say that, but they can't complain that they've been libelled.

On 19/07/2019 at 21:02, Top Cats Hat said:

If you win, then you are completely free to name them and shame* them on here if you so choose.

(*obviously only in connection with this case and this particular court ruling.)

MMmm, no.  No, they're not.

This is a privately owned forum and we are free to set rules which are significantly more stringent than the law of the land.  Whilst we may permit a factual report of a judgement against someone as long as there are unbiased media reports to use in support of the information available, 'naming and shaming' is not and will never be permitted on SF.

If pejorative language or 'naming and shaming' is posted, how is the moderating team supposed to know the difference between truth and libel or defamation?  If a post is defamatory, that potentially puts the forum owner in the impossible position having having to try to defend the claims made without having any of the necessary facts.  This is not something that we are prepared to allow.

On 22/07/2019 at 21:46, tinfoilhat said:

And then they’ll wade in with “it was fine when you got it” etc etc. 

This is a situation in which we'd just choose to not be in the middle of that conversation thank you, and it's our prerogative to make that choice.

15 minutes ago, medusa said:

MMmm, no.  No, they're not.

This is a privately owned forum and we are free to set rules which are significantly more stringent than the law of the land.  Whilst we may permit a factual report of a judgement against someone as long as there are unbiased media reports to use in support of the information available, 'naming and shaming' is not and will never be permitted on SF.

If pejorative language or 'naming and shaming' is posted, how is the moderating team supposed to know the difference between truth and libel or defamation?  If a post is defamatory, that potentially puts the forum owner in the impossible position having having to try to defend the claims made without having any of the necessary facts.  This is not something that we are prepared to allow.

This is a situation in which we'd just choose to not be in the middle of that conversation thank you, and it's our prerogative to make that choice.

Hmmm... :huh:

But this does then raise the question...

... 'Why does the forum allow similar posts that highlight the incompetence of the council, and Amey, and politicians, and The Star...' :confused: