Problem with a Used Car Dealer in Sheffield

I can't see the court looking very favourably on them if they lie and are shown to have done so.

Like others have said, go to trading standards and gather evidence.  I once bought a used car that ended up not even having a catalytic converter installed which created loads of problems. Luckily I took the car straight to a main dealer for a service who documented all the issues for me which was passed to trading standards. I went back to the dealer with all my evidence and said it was not fit for purpose. They agreed to fix everything at their cost.

Personally I would never buy a used car from anywhere other than a main franchise dealership now. Just too risky unfortunately.

On 20/01/2019 at 12:02, katekate said:

Update - I started court proceedings against this car sales garage and the owner has put in a defence which is full of false information.  I have evidence to prove what he is saying is wrong.  Don't know how this man thinks he can get away with telling the court things that are not true.  I will keep you updated.

Good for you, it's only by people fighting and taking action that it stops anyone else being ripped off in the future.

I've been very near to giving up the fight as its a long process and the small claims system is not as easy as I had been told it was.  I will post the outcome when it's all sorted.

Yes please do, it might help others in a similar situation in the future.

On 22/02/2019 at 22:28, katekate said:

I've been very near to giving up the fight as its a long process and the small claims system is not as easy as I had been told it was.  I will post the outcome when it's all sorted.

Wishing you all the luck with it 🙂

After a long battle, we are listed for a court hearing next week so i'll post the outcome of that. Win or lose the information might help someone else in a similar situation.

Good luck with it.  Stay calm, don't be flustered by them, if they even show up to defend themselves.  Make notes so that you can refer back to them if you have to answer questions.

If you win, then you are completely free to name them and shame* them on here if you so choose.

(*obviously only in connection with this case and this particular court ruling.)

Good luck with it all

Presumably the act of taking the court action is a matter of public record and can't possibly be considered to be libel, it's a verifiable thing that is truly happening...