Personal experience? Do hearing aids help?

Are modern hearing aids any good? As me and my friends are getting older and the conversations in pubs are getting louder and misunderstandings are getting more absurd, I wonder if there's help out there or if it's like my old friend used to complain, they just amplify the annoying sounds.

"Is the ale here any good"

"I don't think they have goose here."

"What do we want?!"

"Hearing aids!"

"When do we want them?!"

"Hearing aids!"

Most of the time it is the clarity of the sound and not the volume. You can pay over a thousand pounds for just one hearing aid and although you can get it monitored and adjusted they can never bring the clarity back to normal. As the OP says it just amplifys the muffled sounds , hearing aids can help a little if it's just a case of making things louder but if it's a muffled sound you're hearing it could be cheaper to lipread.

As my friend asked ,Will you be there on Saturday ? Yes I said, I will have a pasty.

Edited by jaffa1

When my father went anywhere for a meal, he took his digital aid out as he could hear everyone in the room apart from those sitting at his table.