Why does the universe exist?

How do you know you actually exist, first of all if you didn’t exist then neither would the universe, think about that

Who said it should be called 'universe'?

you aint seen me....right?

Never seen you, how do I know you are even a real person :suspect:

---------- Post added 29-09-2018 at 22:43 ----------

Exactly, who made up these words we call language, 26 letters in the alphabet and everything we say is made up of these 26 letters .... and yet we live our lives made up of just 26 letters...bizarre really

How do you know you actually exist, first of all if you didn’t exist then neither would the universe, think about that ��

Very good Shaz. :thumbsup:

Yeah why isn’t it called ....nhyresdfv ...because we wouldn’t friggin know what the hell that meant lol

---------- Post added 29-09-2018 at 22:57 ----------

Very good Shaz. :thumbsup:

I ponder this all the time Padders...:roll:

Never seen you, how do I know you are even a real person :suspect:

---------- Post added 29-09-2018 at 22:43 ----------

Exactly, who made up these words we call language, 26 letters in the alphabet and everything we say is made up of these 26 letters .... and yet we live our lives made up of just 26 letters...bizarre really

So if someone uses a language with the "J,K,Q,V,X" and "Z" missing are they in a parallel Universe?

So if someone uses a language with the "J,K,Q,V,X" and "Z" missing are they in a parallel Universe?

Hmmm... :huh:

... I think it's more likely that they just need a new keyboard. :roll:

The universe exists because we are here to observe it. If the universe had a different set of rules then we wouldnt exist. So the reason that we see the current Universe and it's existence is because it lets us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

Surely, us being here to observe it, is a consequence of the universe existing, rather than a cause?

---------- Post added 30-09-2018 at 11:43 ----------

Also, I'm using the word 'universe' is the loosest possible sense; not limited to this one instance of a universe, or observable universe, or physical manifestation of, or this particular instance of the laws of physics, etc. I mean, that there is something rather than nothing.

I have to assume that there was never nothing; as something coming from nothing, with no causal event being possible; does not make sense.

---------- Post added 30-09-2018 at 12:11 ----------

This universe exists because we are here to observe it.

In every case where this universe did not exist, we were not there to observe them not existing.

The universe exists to be perceived by itself.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the fact of the universe perceiving itself. That doesn't explain (to my small mind), the why of its being 'here' to perceive itself.

Edited by Waldo

I'm with you Waldo. The big bang theory doesn't add up as the big block of matter would have had to be created from nothing and if we credit God with anything - who created God out of nothing? You can't create God, or the universe with no raw materials.