The whole Sheffield and Derbyshire thing is somewhat over-hyped.

Monsal Dale, for example, on a sunny day is superb. But quite a bit of the time the bleak moors and dreary dry stone walls can be :gag:.

Especially on a Sunday when the whole area is choked with day trippers. A drive round the quiet lanes of The Dukeries is far nicer.

I go out in worksop occasionally, it used to be because someone we knew worked in a bar, now it's seen more as a challenge, getting home in one piece.

When I say occasionally, it's less than once every 18 months.

Never seen any of it other than the inside of the Frog & Nightgown (when we've had a gig there) and the adjoining Indian restaurant, so I'm not qualified to comment on the town itself, but a mate of mine lives at Gateford which seems quite nice.

I had my nose broke outside the frog, still not sure why.

Gateford is bascially a sheffield overflow

i guess people living in worksop are lucky to live so close to the Countryside.. it only takes a few minutes drive out of town to Clumber Park.

The Parking isnt that cheap :rant: esp for a town center that as litttle to offer.. Wilkinsons is ok, needs a litttle face lift tho.. and some totty working behind the tills lol maybe a few mantonites haha

I think it's cheap, 50p for an hour is ok imo.

Ahhh ive lived in sop since i was little. Its basically thee worst town ive ever come across (other than Barnsley). I do spend a fair part of my time in sheffield becuase there is more to do, more to see and the people seem to be happier. Sop has a huge drug problem to, with more heroin addicts per percentage of population than any other area in the country. I live on a housing estate that is populated by familys who have moved out of sheffield and couldnt give a toss about the town, and lets face it, why would they?

A night out in the town centre isnt so bad, but with a lack of nightlife were all forced to go to the ikon (the only club in town, above woolies). Its like a shed with flashing lights and rubbish music.

Worksop does have plus points though, the bypass......

heh, I live out in gateford, which is full of people who don't give a crap about the town (I know I don't) I visit the town maybe once a month to maybe go to the bank or something like that. I do like living in gatford because it's nice and quiet, no troublemakers and no theiving. Everything is a few minutes away, unlike sheffield where you would need 20 mins to get anywhere. Tesco (we have 2 tescos now in worksop!) is either a 5 min walk up the road or the other one is a 2 min drive. Couple of hardware stores just around the corner from tesco.

IMO its a much better place then sheffield (well the gateford part anyway)

edit- also the college is good too (worksop college)

Tesco (we have 2 tescos now in worksop!) is either a 5 min walk up the road or the other one is a 2 min drive.

According to the store locator on Tesco's website - there is only ONE Tesco in Worksop. There was another (I think it was on Newgate Street) but this closed years ago.

heh, I live out in gateford, which is full of people who don't give a crap about the town (I know I don't) I visit the town maybe once a month to maybe go to the bank or something like that. I do like living in gatford because it's nice and quiet, no troublemakers and no theiving. Everything is a few minutes away, unlike sheffield where you would need 20 mins to get anywhere. Tesco (we have 2 tescos now in worksop!) is either a 5 min walk up the road or the other one is a 2 min drive. Couple of hardware stores just around the corner from tesco.

IMO its a much better place then sheffield (well the gateford part anyway)

edit- also the college is good too (worksop college)

Yeah north notts college sucks......i work there! haha

The only problem with gateford is that theres nowt there, other than houses, a school and a soon to be opend pub (HURAH!!). Its close to the A57 so you can make a quick escape if you want to get on the m1/a1!

The major employment in the area is a sandwitch factory, and two distribution centres (BnQ and Wilkos).

Thinking about it now,the sop really does suck quite badly.

And whats it with the Guardian? Its the worst local paper in the world.

Pah

According to the store locator on Tesco's website - there is only ONE Tesco in Worksop. There was another (I think it was on Newgate Street) but this closed years ago.

Theres one being built at gateford. Will be open in a few weeks time. Think its an express. Theyre opening a Netto next door. Wow Two nettos.....thats all we need

ok guys you have won me over... im lucky to be a resident in Worksop, i should have never complained .. im grateful to live here because.. it boasts of having two tescos, two Nettos, a florishing canel.. cafes that promote unhealthy eating... aggressive pub crawlers that break your nose!!

does anyone know any negatives of living in the workSOP ??

Some guy was on radio one on saturday, did a quiz called local legends. 5 Questions about Worksop. He got them all right. First person to do so. Was called Stewart.....He put worksop on the map apperntly

Some guy was on radio one on saturday, did a quiz called local legends. 5 Questions about Worksop. He got them all right. First person to do so. Was called Stewart.....He put worksop on the map apperntly

Ya know - I think I heard that...v impressive. Also handy, 'cos now people know where to avoid;)