'Geeky' places to hang out in Sheffield

Hi all,

As the username says, I am new to Sheffield, and on the look out for somewhere to hang out & meet new people.

Is there anywhere in Sheffield where I can go to play board games / trading card games (magic the gathering, Warhammer: Age of Sigmar etc), enter tournaments, have a drink, some food, and meet other people with hobbies like mine?

If you wanted to wanted to do any of the above (preferably in one place), where would you suggest is a good place to go in Sheffield?

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the reply, looks interesting. I will have to go check it out.

Has anyone been there who can give me some feedback about the TreeHouse?

I've been. Nice friendly staff, good selection of games etc. Only really worth it if you're planning on spending a few hours there and play a selection of games, as it costs £5 per person.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will have a look into Patriot games as well.

Those were the two I was going to mention, I suspect PG is closer to what you're wanting. Treehouse is generally used by existing groups to meet up and play, they aren't typically open to randomers joining in with them, although if you look they may run specific events where you'd get to play with new people.

Sheffield Board Gamers. Meet every Tuesday from 7:30pm in the University Arms. They have a forum, where you could introduce yourself, and also pre-arrange games to play on the Tuesday evenings. Or just turn up. They're a very friendly club.

Forum here: http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com/

It's not my thing, but I walk past it some Saturdays going to Bramall Lane, and it looks busy.

It's a pleasant (if a little noisy) games cafe. There are probably 100+ board & card games available to play, the staff will help you with the rules if you need it.

They sell a moderate selection of slightly expensive but decent tasting food, they serve a moderate range of reasonable beers and they serve soft drinks and decent coffee. There's a £5 cover charge to play, which gives you 4 hrs, £2.50 if you join which is £25 a year.

But like I said in the earlier post, you need to go with friends, it's not a turn up and join some other group kind of place.

I have often had the idea of opening up somewhere, but never any financial means to do so...

now there's  the NVG opening, and we're apparently getting a Meltdown also...

Guess i'll have to stick with working on another of my ideas then since those have now been done.. :(