Cycling World Championship bypassing Sheffield

can I ask did Sheffield even try and be on the route for next year's event or did our great council not want any hassle and company's on the route to get money and bring money to the local economy .

Realistically it would be difficult for Sheffield to take a minor part in these events as these events are all centred around Harrogate the required route length would be too long for anything but the main race on the final day to feature Sheffield but with Leeds clearly wanting to feature in the final day the organisers would face a significant challenge to trying to shoehorn both cities in. I'm sure cycling fans in Sheffield would love us to host the whole shebang but given they effectively take over the city for more than a week Sheffield could only really take part if somewhere like Chesterfield or Doncaster was nominated as the base.

There were rumour abound in the spring that Yorkshire was trying get involved in doing stages for the Vuelta and the Tour of Yorkshire doesn't clash with the Snooker this year, it's not like this is the last chance for Sheffield to host international cycling, I do hope the council relax a little and let them into the city centre if the organisers wan to.

i am grateful that it will not be coming here with the resulting road closures and disruption

boring and what about people that want it here selfish

---------- Post added 29-09-2018 at 01:28 ----------

Realistically it would be difficult for Sheffield to take a minor part in these events as these events are all centred around Harrogate the required route length would be too long for anything but the main race on the final day to feature Sheffield but with Leeds clearly wanting to feature in the final day the organisers would face a significant challenge to trying to shoehorn both cities in. I'm sure cycling fans in Sheffield would love us to host the whole shebang but given they effectively take over the city for more than a week Sheffield could only really take part if somewhere like Chesterfield or Doncaster was nominated as the base.

There were rumour abound in the spring that Yorkshire was trying get involved in doing stages for the Vuelta and the Tour of Yorkshire doesn't clash with the Snooker this year, it's not like this is the last chance for Sheffield to host international cycling, I do hope the council relax a little and let them into the city centre if the organisers wan to.

the biggest problem is this council im afraid and sheffield could have had the start for the womens or the mens and still included west yorks

yet again sheffield fails to recognise that you cannot become a leading city,without being part of a attraction that makes you one,

Yes it is a big place but they always seems to include Leeds in these events.

and Otley :suspect:

How much will it cost? And what will I get out of it!

Nothing indeed it could even cost you if you are subject to the disruption it would cause

I bet the competitors don't know it's going through the UK's most polluted City!

Now't because we ain't gerrin it.

During the Tory imposed austerity the Chinese investment arrived to the sum of £1B.

Imagine the advertsiing benefit of Sheffield being seen in a sporting contest by ober 170 countries world wide.

The consequences of which couid be limitless in terms of investment withn the City. But it's not to happen because we have small minded, unimaginative local councillors who simply fail us at evry turn.

That is the fact of the matter.

And all noticeable by their absence; tin hat on, head between knees, rear end pointed skywards, knees knocking, trees falling and a road somewhere being repaired slowly.

Realistically it would be difficult for Sheffield to take a minor part in these events as these events are all centred around Harrogate the required route length would be too long for anything but the main race on the final day to feature Sheffield

Donny gets the young mens race, that runs for over 190km.

You could run a race out of Sheffield, roughly follow the peaks, stay West of Huddersfield, Halifax and Bradford, run through Skipton and get into Harrogate.

That'd come in at pretty much the same distance.

Now't because we ain't gerrin it.

Well that's alright then!