Cycling World Championship bypassing Sheffield

I'd like to express a big thank you to Sheffield City Council and their wonderful decision making in all our interests.

Not only capable of hacking down perfectly safe trees in order to improve the environment in the same manner the Amazon is being stripped bare, ignorance reigns supreme as they once again ignore world cycling.

The TdY doesn't come here.

Now, the World Championships, 9 days of top level UCI world publicised racing, is being ignored, shunned and dismissed.

Meanwhile, Harrogate will bask in reflected glory as will Doncaster, Ripon, Beverley, Tadcaster, Weatherby, Northallerton, Bradford and Leeds. Also, they will reap the multi millions of money that floods into the area benefiting local businesses, raising tourism numbers and increasing the positive profile around the world of every place these races visit.

The Council prioritise carefully. Well done. We now have brown bins and no cycling. Having previously only a black bin and a blue bin, and being unable to sleep at night for the worry of over filling, I now have another bin. No cycling but I do have another bin.

Fantastic!

Plastic is polluting the environment and poisoning the oceans and SCC issue us all with another big lump of plastic.

Brilliant decision. Great thinking.

Meanwhile the rest of Yorkshire think World Cycling and all the benefits it brings.

Sheffield City Council thinks differently ...... it thinks rubbish.

Would be interesting to hear what the council have to say about this and why Sheffield is not involved? Why have they not pushed for Sheffield to be involved, the guy LN spoke to said they were bringing it to all four corners of Yorkshire. I bet some of the Councillors read the forum, come on tell us why Sheffield is not included in this event.

i am grateful that it will not be coming here with the resulting road closures and disruption

With the best will in the world, you do realise that every cycle race is not going to come to Sheffield every year don't you? Even the Tour de Yorkshire can probably only be expected to show up in the city every five years or so - Yorkshire's a big place and they want to ride on different roads.

It's brilliant that a major event like this is coming to Yorkshire and the featured towns and cities will get worldwide exposure.

It's a pity that Sheffield and Rotherham miss out (again) but: as their councils have made it clear that they want nothing to do with any One Yorkshire initiatives- it's not surprising the rest of Yorkshire don't invite them to the party.

With the best will in the world, you do realise that every cycle race is not going to come to Sheffield every year don't you? Even the Tour de Yorkshire can probably only be expected to show up in the city every five years or so - Yorkshire's a big place and they want to ride on different roads.

Yes it is a big place but they always seems to include Leeds in these events.

Yes - Sheffield is never included - apart from the worlds number one event the Tour de France 4 years ago - and wasn't there a big event in the city centre in the last few years?

i am grateful that it will not be coming here with the resulting road closures and disruption

Ger a bike.

Yes it is a big place but they always seems to include Leeds in these events.

You have a point that Leeds somehow seems to have slid itself into the role of Paris in the Tour de France. However, they are pretty damn central to the TdY wherever it goes, so it does make some sense. It's hard to avoid Leeds (though trust me, I do try).

I'm not sure the denizens of Sheffield Forum could handle the same level of road closures every single year without exploding in apoplexy :)

Guest makapaka

The fact that this issue has just limped into a 2nd page suggests not many people are that bothered about blokes riding bicycles about.

The fact that this issue has just limped into a 2nd page suggests not many people are that bothered about blokes riding bicycles about.

Not just blokes.