Norton's house furnishers

Whilst searching through my late mums belongings i came across a reference for my dad from 'Norton's house furnishers ltd' Ecclesall Rd. Dated August 1960 it is signed by Mr Norton and a Mr Dungworth. I have no recollections of my dad working there but he obviously did! Anyone have any info on them?

Whilst searching through my late mums belongings i came across a reference for my dad from 'Norton's house furnishers ltd' Ecclesall Rd. Dated August 1960 it is signed by Mr Norton and a Mr Dungworth. I have no recollections of my dad working there but he obviously did! Anyone have any info on them?

My late uncle Ronald Norton owned Norton House Furnishers along with Ronald Dungworth. I spent many a happy hour there in his office whilst uncle Ron was busy.

My mum who's now 92 may recall some of the staff's names, I'll ask her.

I recall a French Polisher who worked there, maybe that's your relative.

Regards,

Duffems

Hi Duffems. Thanks for that. My dad certainly wouldn't have been a french polisher but would have been involved in sales or management perhaps, he was of the suit and tie brigade!. His name was Charles (Charlie) Spencer.

Hi Duffems. Thanks for that. My dad certainly wouldn't have been a french polisher but would have been involved in sales or management perhaps, he was of the suit and tie brigade!. His name was Charles (Charlie) Spencer.

I'll certainly ask mum who has a pretty good memory for her age. She also used to work at uncle Ron's some days and recalls getting a lift into Ecclesall Road by a chap who was in sales who lived Gleadless area.

Ronald Norton and Ronald Dungworth both lived at Coal Aston at the time they owned Norton's House Furnishers, it was named after Ron's family name obviously. Later, they jointly purchased a wholesale warehouse on Carver Street called Chambers which also had a warehouse in Dronfield.

Ronald Norton retired to Norfolk where he died about 1998.

Regards,

Duffems

My Dad would have been 97 now so a similar age. I believe at that time we would have been living on Alport Drive, Hackenthorpe although i'm not sure exactly when we moved to the Basegreen estate, so Gleadless would have been the general direction.

My Dad would have been 97 now so a similar age. I believe at that time we would have been living on Alport Drive, Hackenthorpe although i'm not sure exactly when we moved to the Basegreen estate, so Gleadless would have been the general direction.

Ronald Norton (my uncle Ron) was born in 1921, the eldest child of my grandparents Albert & Lily Norton with whom I lived until 1970 which is why I know so much about my family.

Charles Spencer rings a bell with me but, I'll ask mum later. What does the paperwork you have refer to, you can pm me if you'd prefer.

Another uncle Graham Norton (Ron's youngest brother) also worked there for a time, he was in sales also then went into carpet fitting.

Regards,

Duffems

If you'd like me to scan you a copy pm me your email address, There are three hand written signatures on the letter, might be nice for you to have a copy. Mike.