Is austerity working- and will it ever end?

7 hours ago, bendix said:

Yup. The stories late last year were based on his interim report.  They are now reporting on his completed report.  No doubt later this year they will report on his appendices.  

nice little earner he's got going.

On 22/05/2019 at 15:51, max said:

I think you should show where it's been torn to shreds rather than just putting it out there.

Rowntree poverty is part based in Minimum Income Standard, which is about £18k for a single person or £38k for a family with 2 kids. Opinions will vary if this is poverty or not.

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

Rowntree poverty is part based in Minimum Income Standard, which is about £18k for a single person or £38k for a family with 2 kids. Opinions will vary if this is poverty or not.

In that case, I'm in dire poverty - my company pension is only around 4.5K p.a. (but I do have a lump sum that I dip into) - but not to the tune of £18K/p.a.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

In that case, I'm in dire poverty - my company pension is only around 4.5K p.a. (but I do have a lump sum that I dip into) - but not to the tune of £18K/p.a.

Poverty needs addressing. I don't think setting a limit such as £38k, then claiming millions are in poverty actually helps anything. Possibly the opposite.

Better they concentrated on those in true dire need imo.

6 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Poverty needs addressing. I don't think setting a limit such as £38k, then claiming millions are in poverty actually helps anything. Possibly the opposite.

That's why absolute poverty figures might be more useful, as the limits change based on inflation as opposed to being based on the medium income. Basing it on the medium income creates perverse effects like if the medium income falls (like it did during the recession) then the number of people in poverty can also fall, and if the medium income rises a lot, you get pretty high figures below which you're considered to be living in poverty.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/one-million-people-lifted-out-of-absolute-poverty

One million people have been lifted out of absolute poverty since 2010. 

9 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

I agree - but is poverty not having the latest smartphone, trainers w.h.y, or is not being able to have at least one good meal a day?

Some seem to think it is the former, to the detriment of the latter.

Just now, Robin-H said:

That's why absolute poverty figures might be more useful, as the limits change based on inflation as opposed to being based on the medium income. Basing it on the medium income creates perverse effects like if the medium income falls (like it did during the recession) then the number of people in poverty can also fall, and if the medium income rises a lot, you get pretty high figures below which you're considered to be living in poverty.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/one-million-people-lifted-out-of-absolute-poverty

One million people have been lifted out of absolute poverty since 2010. 

Yes, relative poverty is virtually impossible to eradicate. Plus if you live in Monaco, you could classified as being in poverty on £500k pa.

I don't know the figures, and as others, they are prone to manipulation. But helping people out destitution type poverty, and true hardship is what needs attention.