Is austerity working- and will it ever end?

I'm considering running my household budget at c5% more than I earn continually, so I can feel better off and less austere . Do forum members recommend this course of action? Thanks.

I'm not saying he's wrong, but it sticks in my craw a bit that we've got some Aussie rocking up to our shores telling us how crap we are when huge numbers of the aboriginal population are living in far far far worse poverty. Sort your own house out first.

He's a UN poverty envoy, not a representative of the Australian government. :suspect:

I'm considering running my household budget at c5% more than I earn continually, so I can feel better off and less austere . Do forum members recommend this course of action? Thanks.

Give it a go and report back in twelve months.

He's a UN poverty envoy, not a representative of the Australian government. :suspect:

But he's still Australian. I bet he went round scuffing people's front doors with sandpaper going "struth - look at the state of that door, that austerity in action".

I'm sure you could visit any country in the world and find pockets of quite desperate poverty, ours is no exception - and I've been to jaywick and driven through Grimsby more times than a little. Government needs to pull it's finger out of course but its a tad preoccupied with brexit, voted for in great numbers by people in Grimsby and jaywick.

But he's still Australian. I bet he went round scuffing people's front doors with sandpaper going "struth - look at the state of that door, that austerity in action".

I'm sure you could visit any country in the world and find pockets of quite desperate poverty, ours is no exception - and I've been to jaywick and driven through Grimsby more times than a little. Government needs to pull it's finger out of course but its a tad preoccupied with brexit, voted for in great numbers by people in Grimsby and jaywick.

Sounds like a Johnny Cash song.

People who went through the trauma of the 1920s / 30s depression would've been glad for the work of J.M Keynes

People who went through the trauma of the 1920s / 30s depression would've been glad for the work of J.M Keynes

Do you think that would work now? Genuine question. The West took a kicking in 08 and nobody really went that way. Would globalisation make it harder?

And now, whilst not in the great depression? What level of defecit should we run to avoid 'austerity'. Or should we apply a rate of tax that funds the things we want / need?

27 minutes ago, Mister M said:

According to the respected Institute for Fiscal Studies the Government has enough money to end austerity, if it wants to.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/austerity-end-government-philip-hammond-ifs-report-a8822411.html 

Shame they lack the necessary moral fibre to actually do it.

16 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Shame they lack the necessary moral fibre to actually do it.

Plenty of money for the DUP, and to MPs for those areas who voted Brexit but who will vote for her deal. 

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Plenty of money for the DUP, and to MPs for those areas who voted Brexit but who will vote for her deal. 

And plenty for Grayling to keep wizzing against the wall without having to be held to account.