Is austerity working- and will it ever end?

Genuine question, do you think the unions would get behind the cuts/streamlining a bit more if it came from a Labour government?

Nope. But that’s how it rolls. There were plenty of strikes when Labour were last in power.

It doesn’t alter my point, about the core responsibilities of government.

Guest makapaka

Austerity isn’t working.

It’s counter productive to a happy and prosperous society.

The belt is squeezed on the people with the least - who feel the actual effect. Those making the decisions and the people they affiliate with are completely unaffected.

The banking crash required some economic tightening - the ongoing policy of the tories to squeeze benefits, social care and local government is a disgrace that is only benefiting the few.

If you’ve been brainwashed into thinking it’s for the good of the country you’ve been duped.

Their job is to govern for the benefit of the people - not to screw us under the false pretence that it’s doing us long term good.

Austerity isn’t working.

It’s counter productive to a happy and prosperous society.

The belt is squeezed on the people with the least - who feel the actual effect. Those making the decisions and the people they affiliate with are completely unaffected.

The banking crash required some economic tightening - the ongoing policy of the tories to squeeze benefits, social care and local government is a disgrace that is only benefiting the few.

If you’ve been brainwashed into thinking it’s for the good of the country you’ve been duped.

Their job is to govern for the benefit of the people - not to screw us under the false pretence that it’s doing us long term good.

Hit the nail on the head Maka.:thumbsup:

Austerity isn’t working.

The Government have less money to 'give away'. You need to convince the rich that those at the bottom are worthy of the handouts.

The Government have less money to 'give away'. You need to convince the rich that those at the bottom are worthy of the handouts.

On that score I'm not sure anymore could be done.

Over the course of their lives most will know, or will know of, people doing very nicely thank you one month, then unemployed or threatened with homelessness a few months down the line. True that those much lower down the income and wealth scale will experience multiple deprivations; few but the very rich are insulated from many of the harsher realities of life.

Back in the early 1980s the recession hit the Northern and industrial Midlands the hardest; it seems that with each subsequent downturn in the economy the 'creative destruction' wreaked spreads further up the income scale (that's just based on my perception though).

I also don't think that the interests of the rich are that different from those at the bottom in terms of well funded public services. Everyone benefits from a well funded education, health and other services. Collective provision means that we all have a stake in a civic society. Worth bearing in mind too that research suggests the wider the gap between the rich and those at the bottom then everyone suffers in terms of higher crime rates , infant mortality, mental ill health and homicide.

Even organisations like the OECD have been moved to air its concerns about inequality.

Edited by Mister M

Handouts?

Explain

Theresa May declares 'austerity is over' after eight years of cuts and tax increases.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-austerity-end-over-speech-conservative-conference-tory-labour-a8566526.html

I dont understand, how and why she thinks austerity is over.

---------- Post added 03-10-2018 at 18:38 ----------

I also don't think that the interests of the rich are that different from those at the bottom in terms of well funded public services. Everyone benefits from a well funded education, health and other services. Collective provision means that we all have a stake in a civic society. Worth bearing in mind too that research suggests the wider the gap between the rich and those at the bottom then everyone suffers in terms of higher crime rates , infant mortality, mental ill health and homicide.

Even organisations like the OECD have been moved to air its concerns about inequality.

I have never voted Tory myself, even though I could see that the country was in too much debt, and they are the party that deals with it.

I have never voted Tory myself, even though I could see that the country was in too much debt, and they are the party that deals with it.

Not that I have any particular view, but I wonder if that is really true:

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/03/13/the-conservatives-have-been-the-biggest-borrowers-over-the-last-70-years/

Theresa May declares 'austerity is over' after eight years of cuts and tax increases.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-austerity-end-over-speech-conservative-conference-tory-labour-a8566526.html

I dont understand, how and why she thinks austerity is over.

---------- Post added 03-10-2018 at 18:38 ----------

I think it's already been acknowledged on this thread that other countries have adopted different methods of dealing with debt. (and have emerged quicker from recession apparently)

I can't lay claim to the quote, but economists have said that dealing with recessions by means of austerity, is like putting an anorexic patient on a diet.

Edited by Mister M

I think it's already been acknowledged on this thread that other countries have adopted different methods of dealing with debt.

I can't lay claim to the quote, but economists have said that dealing with recessions by means of austerity, is like putting an anorexic patient on a diet.

I don't think very good economist have said that. Yes, you need to encourage growth and spending, and some of that requires government spending, but I'm not sure any economist worth their salt would say that austerity doesn't have its place after recovering from economic crash and very very high levels of debt and deficit.

Take Iceland for example - it's always touted as a poster child for an alternative way of recovery after the financial crash. They let their banks fail. They let their currency crash. It isn't always mentioned however that their austerity programme was much harsher than ours (roughly double)...

I think it's already been acknowledged on this thread that other countries have adopted different methods of dealing with debt. (and have emerged quicker from recession apparently)

Have you used the wrong word? Dealing with debt, not recession.

In recent years the UKs GDP grew faster than the rest of the EU, that is until Theresa May took charge :)

I'll believe Austerity is over when all our Libraries are fully stocked, staffed, and fully working again.