Is austerity working- and will it ever end?

If the Tories stay in power, austerity will become the new normal. They have no intention of reversing the cuts. Eventually people will forget what it was like before the financial crash and just accept things the way they are.

The financial crash is already part of history.

Ah yes this is a phenomenon described well in the book The Establishment- How They Get Away With It.

Cant remember the name of the concept..paradigm window or something :huh:

If the Tories stay in power, austerity will become the new normal. They have no intention of reversing the cuts. Eventually people will forget what it was like before the financial crash and just accept things the way they are.

And the first austerity measures were introduced by the Rt. Hon. Gordon Brown PM. Also at the last election, it's well documented that Lab, under Corbyn was going to keep the Tory austerity measures in place, had Lab won.

Ah yes this is a phenomenon described well in the book The Establishment- How They Get Away With It.

Cant remember the name of the concept..paradigm window or something :huh:

Is it the Overton Window?

Is it the Overton Window?

thats the one! thanks :D

Don't you think it has any relevance to today's situation?

Borrowing is continuing to fall and has done since the start of austerity. Once borrowing isn't needed then the debt can be paid off. Plenty of economic data to prove this is the case.

Major's government had a five year plan that was still in effect after they lost the election in 1997; it's why we had a surplus in the first few years of Labour then it went pear shaped around 2001/2002.

There is obviously a need to start putting more money into certain parts of the public system post austerity, but to just revert back to what it was pre crash is folly; austerity has forced a lot of the public sector to work smarter and find new ways of doing things when previously they didn't have to and probably wouldn't have done so. Just going back to how things were in 2007 for the sake of it isn't the way forward.

I wouldn't expect your bins to be collected weekly again, and for those of us who don't see a doctor very often, have the misfortune of going to hospital or rely on the state financially, that's about the sum of the impact of austerity in daily life.

If the Tories stay in power, austerity will become the new normal.

I pay my mortgage every month, so I am in debt, but I also have savings, I would imagine you do.

Does our Government have any money in the bank?

The problem here isn’t the idea of streamlining departments and making sensible spending decisions. That is the job of any government.

The problem is using austerity with all of the negative connotations as a political badge of honour.

There’s something disgusting about that.

What the Tories say they'll do, and what the Tories actually do, are two different things...

Such is the Politics of to-day. This old saying is spot on, how do you know when a Politician is telling fibs - when their lips are moving.

Angel1.

The Governments debt amounts to £1,781.4 billion; the Governments yearly income from taxes is £750 billion.

If that was personal debt, that would be like someone that had a yearly income of £15,000 being in debt by over £30,000; that is a very large amount of debt.

What the Tories say they'll do, and what the Tories actually do, are two different things...

I think you'll actually find that they fulfil a much higher percentage of their pledges than they break, but don't let the truth get in the way of a good soundbite..

The problem here isn’t the idea of streamlining departments and making sensible spending decisions. That is the job of any government.

The problem is using austerity with all of the negative connotations as a political badge of honour.

There’s something disgusting about that.

Genuine question, do you think the unions would get behind the cuts/streamlining a bit more if it came from a Labour government?