Stannington Spar shop Post office to close

New people took over the Spar in Stannington Village, last week they did not order in newspapers and today I'm told all the shop staff that have been there for years are to be paid redundant and the Post office is to go. Disgusting. Why take on a shop to just run it into the ground overnight.

New people took over the Spar in Stannington Village, last week they did not order in newspapers and today I'm told all the shop staff that have been there for years are to be paid redundant and the Post office is to go. Disgusting. Why take on a shop to just run it into the ground overnight.

That was my regular local shop for 15 years but I haven't been in once since it was took over.

Have you asked them why

The girl in the shop said that the shop wasn't taking enough to support the post office, so the post office will close, she does not know if the shop is closing, but as I say, its only been bought over in the past couple of months or so, makes no sense. I preferred Spar to the Co-op as it was the smaller of the two so felt it was right to support the smaller shop, but now I'm angry these people have come, sacked all the staff or will be doing and we are losing a vital part of the community.

It'll die of death as I foresee most in the area won't use it regularly, they'll use the CO OP next door instead.

It'll die of death as I foresee most in the area won't use it regularly, they'll use the CO OP next door instead.

Most things and people 'die of death' :rolleyes:

The girl in the shop said that the shop wasn't taking enough to support the post office, so the post office will close, she does not know if the shop is closing, but as I say, its only been bought over in the past couple of months or so, makes no sense. I preferred Spar to the Co-op as it was the smaller of the two so felt it was right to support the smaller shop, but now I'm angry these people have come, sacked all the staff or will be doing and we are losing a vital part of the community.

You are aware that the Spar is a multinational company with it's head office in the netherlands arent you?

Spend your money in the Co-op, or even better in the village stores and the fruit and veg shop...

The size of the shop has nothing to do with whose pockets you are lining.

You are aware that the Spar is a multinational company with it's head office in the netherlands arent you?

It's no longer Spar. It's now Your Local or something. If they carry on as they are doing it won't be local for long.

Not totally sure the PO is closing though as they are updating all the PO machines this week.

I am aware all the old staff are talking of redundancy notices though

Edited by Lancs_Lad

Hello Everyone On the Forum...I am the new owner of Stannington post office...And would like to make a PSA that post office on Stannington road S66AE is not closing amd is open from 9 Am-6PM Monday to Saturday...Please feel free to come in ask for any queries...Thanks

I would also like to say that we didn’t had anything to do with the newspapers being cancelled and staff redundancies.. The staff was already made redundant when we took over...Still tried to hire them but due to their bad experience with previous owner they wanted to move on

Just to add, they are indeed still open and, despite the expected Christmas queues for the Post Office side, the staff remain friendly and welcoming.

A distinct lack of outrage now the new owner has come on with the facts. When I worked in a small shop loads of people “knew” what was happening behind the scenes and the reality is that they knew sod all. 

Thankyou Manpreet for setting it straight!