£8,000 a month care home fees.

The kicker is, if I've read it right, according to the council AND the family, one of the couple doesn't need to be there at all so the council aren't contributing to one of them at all.

The kicker is, if I've read it right, according to the council AND the family, one of the couple doesn't need to be there at all so the council aren't contributing to one of them at all.

If I've read it correctly, it is all about what might happen when their funds reach the threshold.

Currently, they are self-financing.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/couple-who-been-together-70-15182831

Edited by cgksheff

Which seems eminently sensible. I bet if this was reversed and it was a wealthy ex professional and the council was paying for both when they only had to pay for one there would be outrage from the opposite end.

Damned if you do etc. But hey we can spin this as mean heartless capitalism so all's cool....

That's the way i read it.

I admit it probably isn't ideal for him or the family BUT that isn't societies problem or the councils.

That's the way i read it.

I admit it probably isn't ideal for him or the family BUT that isn't societies problem or the councils.

Or, he could wake up, go to the home and sit there and then go back to his home at the end of the day and pay nowt. It's a strange situation.

Or, he could wake up, go to the home and sit there and then go back to his home at the end of the day and pay nowt. It's a strange situation.

And also, if the house is being used by him would it have had to be sold? Cant recall what the rules are on that...

And also, if the house is being used by him would it have had to be sold? Cant recall what the rules are on that...

They have already sold and are living in the care home of their choice. At their own expense.

They have already sold and are living in the care home of their choice. At their own expense.

I know. I was just wondering if they hadn't both decided to move in if they would even have had to sell the house...

I know. I was just wondering if they hadn't both decided to move in if they would even have had to sell the house...

I would assume that she had reached the point of needing a level of care that he was unable to provide on his own and they could only afford to pay for residential care by selling up.

The option that would appear to have been impractical, could have been to use the proceeds of sale to provide accommodation with one of the children (extension, new house etc.).

It is interesting that, as a society, we seem more and more to be reluctant to expect any care from our offspring.

Can anyone really afford £8,000 a month for care?

Get real. It's outrageous!

Why?

If it was done on the cheap then you'd be on here moaning like a shot.

Go on - cost up what a nursing team needs to bill a week for care, plus the cost of providing the room and see what you get to.

Can anyone really afford £8,000 a month for care?

Get real. It's outrageous!

Not many can but then again would you pick a care home with a tab of £8k if you couldn't ?

---------- Post added 25-09-2018 at 14:13 ----------

I would assume that she had reached the point of needing a level of care that he was unable to provide on his own and they could only afford to pay for residential care by selling up.

The option that would appear to have been impractical, could have been to use the proceeds of sale to provide accommodation with one of the children (extension, new house etc.).

It is interesting that, as a society, we seem more and more to be reluctant to expect any care from our offspring.

Or out of our own pockets.