£8,000 a month care home fees.

Quote cgksheff: I would assume that she had reached the point of needing a level of care that he was unable to provide.

The fact that he could not provide care for his wife is not relevant to the care that he himself needed. If his care could be managed at home and he had remained there the house would not have had to be sold. The rules are that if there is another occupant in the house who is over 60 years of age the property is disregarded.

Social services have some difficult decisions to make regarding budgets and they can only provide funding up to a certain level. This is clearly well above it. We can’t expect them to pay for care that is not needed, especially at that level of cost.

As for families taking care of their elderly kin I would never advise it. Caring is mostly done by women. It is very hard work and extremely stressful, akin to going to work and never being allowed to go home and rest. You can wind up with no life of your own. We are simply living too long but not always in good health. Caring for someone can take years off your life.

Not many can but then again would you pick a care home with a tab of £8k if you couldn't ?

---------- Post added 25-09-2018 at 14:13 ----------

Or out of our own pockets.

I thought I run some numbers rather than wait for Anna, see waht you make of these.

One person with 24 hr nursing cover is going to require three shifts of eight hours. Assuming each nurse actually looks after six people, then six residents need three nurses plus a "half" nurse to allow for nurses on holidays, sick, leave, etc.

So thats 7/12th FTE for a nurse as staffing costs. A RN in adult care is well paid median salary is 38k. Add in employers NI (+4k) and pension requirements (1400) you get a figure of 45400 just for staffing costs.

7/12th of that spread over 52.4 weeks is £480 a week. Thats just for a nurse to be there...

Add on rates and rent, building depreciation, food, staff to cook it, clean, laundry, etc. that makes it £450 for the week for all that. Thats only cheap hotel rates and they have economies of scale.

I dont actually think that nursing home is too bad on price looking at that...

I thought I run some numbers rather than wait for Anna, see waht you make of these.

One person with 24 hr nursing cover is going to require three shifts of eight hours. Assuming each nurse actually looks after six people, then six residents need three nurses plus a "half" nurse to allow for nurses on holidays, sick, leave, etc.

So thats 7/12th FTE for a nurse as staffing costs. A RN in adult care is well paid median salary is 38k. Add in employers NI (+4k) and pension requirements (1400) you get a figure of 45400 just for staffing costs.

7/12th of that spread over 52.4 weeks is £480 a week. Thats just for a nurse to be there...

Add on rates and rent, building depreciation, food, staff to cook it, clean, laundry, etc. that makes it £450 for the week for all that. Thats only cheap hotel rates and they have economies of scale.

I dont actually think that nursing home is too bad on price looking at that...

Hmmm... :huh:

... OK, so using your figures Mr Obelix, let's say all the costs amount to £1,000 per week per 'guest', or roughly £4000 per month.

So that's 100% markup or £4,000 per month 'profit' per guest.

And how many guests do they have? Let's say 20 (does anyone have any accurate info?).

So that's 20 x £4,000 per month, or £80,000 profit per month, or approaching £1million a year!

And you don't think that the nursing home is too bad on price? :o

... OK, so using your figures Mr Obelix, let's say all the costs amount to £1,000 per week per 'guest', or roughly £4000 per month.

And how many guests do they have? Let's say 20 (does anyone have any accurate info?).

So that's 20 x £4,000 per month, or £80,000 profit per month, or approaching £1million a year!

So if it's easy money why don't the council open more care homes? The one my dad was in briefly was council, not that well specced and the same as a private care home.

Wasn't Anna's first post saying it was £8000 for 2 people?

Yes I was just going to post to same thing. The £8000 figure was for two people. When my nan went into a care home (with bad dementia) it was £1000 a week, which is what this equates to.

Where on earth do you get those numbers from? It's £8000 a month for TWO people not one.

£975 for one that needs full time nursing care a week.

Ooops...

... sorry, I missed that. :blush:

Ooops...

... sorry, I missed that. :blush:

:) So from making a million profit a year the care home is making nowt ... that's why they're closing down..

Have a look at how the owners of care homes live....

Quite a number of homes are owned by doctors.

I know of a couple who are planning ahead for such an eventuality as having to go into care at some later stage. For a few hundred quid at a solicitors, they transferred their home to their children, so that was their main asset gone then they keep passing money to thier kids to keep their bank balance around the £30k mark.

If you don't have any assets then the local authority will pay.

Just make sure you live more than seven years beyond teh date of gifting and that they kids are charging you *market* rent for living in the house otherwise the council can apply for an order to negate the gifting of the house.

Why?

If it was done on the cheap then you'd be on here moaning like a shot.

Go on - cost up what a nursing team needs to bill a week for care, plus the cost of providing the room and see what you get to.

15 years ago I worked for a housing association that ran a few nursing homes (not a major part of the business). One of my duties was to draw up the annual budget for presentation to the Health Authority who paid a top up grant to meet costs over and above what the LA paid in fees.

To run a 40 bed unit 24/7, 365 days of the year, cost over £800 per bed per week then, so a charge of £975pw in 2018 doesn't surprise me in the slightest.