Do you buy your seed garlic locally?

I`ve only ever grown garlic that I have got from supermarkets.

Apparently it is best to get a variety that matches the climate where it is going to be grown. For example Solent white is grown on the Isle of white and described as suitable for our climate.

I was interested in getting a suitable variety locally if possible?

you should save your best bulbs for planting out.

personally prefer soft neck varieties as they keep longer.

Beware accepting from other growers as white rot is easy to pass around and cannot be removed easily.

Bought mine from the really garlicky company in Scotland 5 years ago. Every year I save the biggest bulbs for planting next year and the missus gets the rest.They're supposed to adapt to the local growing conditions over the years.

regards Mick

I find it's more the weather that effects the crop rather than the variety, I have had really good and bad years with Solent White, this years was the worst yet

How long do you generally find it takes for the garlic shoots to appear through the soil after planting?

I put mine in the ground first week of October but no sign of them yet. I read online that the planting depth is 3 to 4 inches. That seems a little deep?

Edited by Janus

I have always planted just deep enough to leave the tip of the neck showing above ground. I also grow mostly my own best saved cloves but sometimes add some bought from market stalls in the Mediterranean.

I agree. Mine are planted level with the top of the soil.

This year, I’m growing some that I bought in a market in Bordeaux. I planted them in early October. They’ve all come up nicely and are about 5cm high. Let’s hope they like the UK winter.

Edit: just been out with the rake and scraped about 30mm of soil off the top. I can see the green shoots on 3 or 4 of them now. They have certainly started so are a bit delayed due to planting depth. If we have a harsh winter it may work out better. I planted about 60 in total along a border.

Edited by Janus

How long do you generally find it takes for the garlic shoots to appear through the soil after planting?

I put mine in the ground first week of October but no sign of them yet. I read online that the planting depth is 3 to 4 inches. That seems a little deep?

The planting depth is correct, they will be making roots now and will show through when they are ready to grow as late as March some years

The planting depth is correct, they will be making roots now and will show through when they are ready to grow as late as March some years

I didn`t know that.

I am pleased to say that most of the 60 garlic I planted are now through the soil and well on their way.
https://ibb.co/Hx4z7Ht