Incident at Sheffield Station?

Does anyone know if this guy was pushed?

Seriously, it makes me scared to see pushing and shoving at the station when trains are pulling in. I think they ought to have barriers and people should queue behind them, for the sake of some order and safety! They have 'carriage areas' at York, where you wait for your particular carriage - even that would be an improvement. I now avoid Leeds station where possible because pushing and shoving passengers are nothing short of animals there.

add him to the never ending list of the people who throw themselfs under the trains in the stations, maybe they might realise that a train either leaving the station or coming in to it wont be going very fast, if they want to kill themselfs then do it further up the line when the trains are travelling fast that way know body in the station will throw up when they see the person under the train, because there wont be much left of him. I have seen countless people go under the trains in midland station and none of them have been killed been badly damaged but they have lived. I shall now wait for the comments on what I will get for putting all that down but am I bothered NO.

I think you are quite right mate to put that down- well done sir!

Tip my hat to you.

Now my thoughts on this saga- the bloke I am guessing jumped and tried to top himself but chickened out at the last minute and possibly got out of the way enough to prevent himself being killed or maimed.

Such a foolish individual and I am not buying into the bloke was pushed or fell in front of the train because the odds of that happening are to me like being in a car crash (you are not likely to be in one)... so I am going for the usual 'I want to end my life being selfish and jumping in front of a train in full view of people on 'possibly' a busy station platform routine'

As I've said before- sheer selfishness.. and again, not thinking of the what the public are about to witness.

I suppose people will put it down to 'mental problems' again though :roll:

you have some really bizarre ideas. You liken the odds to being a car accident, which happen every day, and then say that because of such odds you don't believe that he was pushed or fell.

Then you go off on your intolerant ranting about suicide again.

you have some really bizarre ideas. You liken the odds to being a car accident, which happen every day, and then say that because of such odds you don't believe that he was pushed or fell.

Then you go off on your intolerant ranting about suicide again.

I likened the odds to a car accident for a single person travelling in the car- they are not likely to have a car crash during the day- its usually the 1% chance they might.. the other 99% of the time, they will be fine.

If you get my drift :)

I will gladly put money on the bloke jumped- and yes again, and it will touch people's nerves again- but this was 'yet another' selfish suicide related incident, that 'yet again' has to be just there- right in front of the public to create the maximum of fuss and attention.

Sad, selfish act.

...I suppose people will put it down to 'mental problems' again though :roll:

What a bizarre, thoughtless and absolutely idiotic rant. A fellow human being at the lowest ebb their life could ever possibly get and you deride them for their apparent selfishness?

Mental illness, in its various guises, affects a vast number of people. Just a quick search on this forum alone will reveal the number of people who have posted about depression, for example. The fact that you are unable to empathise is perhaps understandable, but to show such a lack of respect and sympathy is dreadful.

'Mental problems' could affect you, or someone you love, at some point in the future. Should that be the case, maybe then you'll be a little more understanding.

I tell you what- before this descends into yet another 'lets all beat angelus with a stick' topic again- let me put this question to one and all..

How do you know the person who jumped had mental health problems?

If its not reported that they did, nor do you know the person- how do people know their state of mind - so how can you possibly come up with the theory that they were mentall ill?

You cant

To me it was a pre-meditated act, the bloke must have thought about this for a bit and then decided to do it... you dont just think 'I know- today I will go and leap in front of a train'

Selfishness.. pure and simple

I have been depressed before in the past and I have thought about offing myself as well- but I've never thought- let me hang myself or throw myself under a train.

Why?

Becuase I have too much respect for the public to do so.

I'm not going to go back to the subject of my friends 'selfish' suicide on his mums birthday again- but sorry- he wasnt mentally ill neither because I spoke to him on the night it happened, the bloke was fine and seemed on top form as usual.

So I dont accept 'mental illness' as an excuse quite frankly.

What a bizarre, thoughtless and absolutely idiotic rant. A fellow human being at the lowest ebb their life could ever possibly get and you deride them for their apparent selfishness?

Mental illness, in its various guises, affects a vast number of people. Just a quick search on this forum alone will reveal the number of people who have posted about depression, for example. The fact that you are unable to empathise is perhaps understandable, but to show such a lack of respect and sympathy is dreadful.

'Mental problems' could affect you, or someone you love, at some point in the future. Should that be the case, maybe then you'll be a little more understanding.

Good for saying that hecate people dont know what it like till been there and believe me when you hit rock bottom you dont think wether your goin to live or die some people should spare a thought for people like this rather than take ****:thumbsup:

Good for saying that hecate people dont know what it like till been there and believe me when you hit rock bottom you dont think wether your goin to live or die some people should spare a thought for people like this rather than take ****:thumbsup:

I have been at rock bottom so I have some experience of the thoughts that go through one's mind when you think 'enough is enough'

The simple fact remains- you have a choice in life:

You either be foolish and take the cowards way out - or you work your way back up and sort the problems out, which I have done.. and here I am with you good people today.

I do think about people that decide to do this- then I think how selfish and what a waste of a human being.

Sorry.

I tell you what- before this descends into yet another 'lets all beat angelus with a stick' topic again...

It's not a case of 'let's beat Angelus with a stick', it's a case of you post a view which demonstrates lack of sympathy and respect for other people, therefore you should expect to receive some form of rebuke.

As for your question about mental illness, I would suggest that if somewhere has reached a position in their life when throwing themselves in front of a train is the only option they see open to them, then pretty severe depression of some sort is a likely factor in the scenario.

Let me just point out that I'm not specifically referring to the poor chap who was involved in the incident at Sheffield station; he may have fallen for all I know. I suspect, however, that you would have given a similar response, Angelus, if the incident was confirmed as an attempted suicide.

You say you have been depressed in the past. In that case you should have some degree of empathy and the understanding that severe clinical depression can and does lead to suicidal thoughts and actions. The reason you haven't attempted to take your own life is that you've been fortunate enough not to have experienced the darkest days of severe depression, not because you proclaim unselfishness.

I thought we'd dealt with the issue of the so-called "selfishness" of suicides/ attempted suicides in another thread

I also thought we'd reached a concensus that, when someone is in such a state that they are attempting suicide, we cannot possibly know what desperate state they, personally, are in, and what awful thoughts could be going round their minds.

I do think you are being unkind, angelus, about the people who commit/ attempt to commit suicide.

Of course it's damn hellish when a friend or relative does this (I've been through it myself) but we need to direct our anger in more positive ways, such as looking into helping find ways and means to help others who come to that place, to get through that dark time, to get that "black dog" (as churchill called it) back on its lead, and under contol.

the families left behind, need compassion, sure. However, the person who is close to suicide needs help and compassion, too.

we can't just say they are a "gutless *deleted*"- we've got to look at the circumstances that drove them to the brink, and help them deal with it.

PT

I thought we'd dealt with the issue of the so-called "selfishness" of suicides/ attempted suicides in another thread...

I don't think I've read Angelus' views on suicide and selfishness before. I certainly would have commented before, and wouldn't have bothered now, if I had read them previously.

I'm not going to go back to the subject of my friends 'selfish' suicide on his mums birthday again- but sorry- he wasnt mentally ill neither because I spoke to him on the night it happened, the bloke was fine and seemed on top form as usual.

So I dont accept 'mental illness' as an excuse quite frankly.

In the case of your depresion Angelus although you were undoubtedly depressed, and you felt you had hit rock bottom.... really you had not, thoughts of suicide can be a world apart from doing the actual deed, you really cannot generalise and there is not much point in comparing the experience/feelings of others with your own......we are all different , a tiny problem to one person may be insermountable to another and good enough reason to want to face it no more.

Up to a point i can understand what you are saying about the selfish nature of the way people can take their own life, but you do have to realise the balance of their mind is way off normal in a way you have not experienced, as for your friend, well quite a lot of people learn to mask their depression very well, but this does not mean it is not there and dangerously severe, also most people who really want to commit suicide do not broadcast it ....they do not want to be saved.