Knife attacks in Sheffield 2018

This is what happens under a government that continues to cut services and also makes people poorer.

Ah yes. I remember the halcyon days before 2010 & the financial crash when absolutely nobody was murdered in the UK.

It's about time for a new offence is created.

Carrying a knife should equate to "Going equipped to maim or murder".

Give it a minimum 5 year to life sentence. No early release and no suspended sentence.

But we won't do that because the justice system too soft.

What a load of guff.

Guest makapaka
Ah yes. I remember the halcyon days before 2010 & the financial crash when absolutely nobody was murdered in the UK.

There’s been a cut of 21000 police officers since 2010 and it’s increased year on year.

Just dreadful news again. There is no need for new laws, however well intentioned that suggestion is. There are more than enough on the statute book to cover knife crime.

The sad facts are that society has changed - carrying weapons is now widespread in society, and almost expected amongst large numbers of young people, and we now have far fewer cops patrolling than before.

More offences committed that can't be detected as there aren't enough uniforms around.

Successive governments have let us down - funding cuts, replacing fully warranted officers with PCSO's, talking the talk and failing to step up.

I feel genuinely sorry for the parents of young people today - and for the few cops there are out there patrolling the streets.

The genie is out of the bottle, and it won't be forced back in anytime soon.

It's just so very sad.

Just dreadful news again. There is no need for new laws, however well intentioned that suggestion is. There are more than enough on the statute book to cover knife crime.

The sad facts are that society has changed - carrying weapons is now widespread in society, and almost expected amongst large numbers of young people, and we now have far fewer cops patrolling than before.

More offences committed that can't be detected as there aren't enough uniforms around.

Successive governments have let us down - funding cuts, replacing fully warranted officers with PCSO's, talking the talk and failing to step up.

I feel genuinely sorry for the parents of young people today - and for the few cops there are out there patrolling the streets.

The genie is out of the bottle, and it won't be forced back in anytime soon.

It's just so very sad.

^^^Best post so far by a mile.

It's a society thing. Go back a couple of generations, EVERY man carried a pocket knife, Sheffield made most of them! The thing that's changed is the propensity for stabbing people, often under the gaze of cctv. These murders aren't going unsolved they don't seem to care if they kill someone or not, what they use - if a weapon is used at all - is academic.That's the bigger issue.

I have 2 boys, 18 and 21. While I know that the vast majority of these incidents are targeted every time they go out I worry and cant settle till theyre home safe.

When did a human life become so worthless to people? They obviously dont care about the victims lives, but their own must be pretty worthless to them too, to be willing to risk throwing it away.

We were at the arena last night. Awful to think that while we were singing along yet another person was losing their life just across the road.

Edited by nikki-red

Echoing my thoughts on this Nikki Red and I too feel the anguish for our kids. It is shocking for families of victims. Parents of the person who pulled the knife suffer greatly too. Do we all know what our kids do when they leave the house. My thoughts and sympathies are with the victims family and friends. No dispute should ever be settled in this way.

Seven people arrested on suspicion of murder.

This is what happens under a government that continues to cut services and also makes people poorer.

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks the root of all these problems doesn't lie with this is seriiusly deluded.

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks the root of all these problems doesn't lie with this is seriiusly deluded.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but how would a total reverse in cuts stop these stabbing? Just more police on the streets and areas like centertainment? Do we have the police doing far greater stop and search? The criminal masterminds have been arrested about 12 hours after it all happened.

I'm not sure how you can stop someone thinking "I'm going to stab him/her/them". That starts at home surely.

It's about time for a new offence is created.

Carrying a knife should equate to "Going equipped to maim or murder".

And how on earth is that going to help?

It is already an offence to carry a bladed article without very good reason, and murder and attempted murder are already criminal offences. As has already been pointed out this is a problem with society and will only be solved (eventually) by treating it as such.

Dog whistle slogans and knee jerk reactions may make people feel righteous but it won't to a thing to change matters while we refuse to acknowledge the roots of the problem.