Knife attacks in Sheffield 2018

20 hours ago, OneSon said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/man-57-reportedly-stabbed-by-teenager-on-sheffield-street-1-9494796

I can confirm this is true.  And this was not "targeted", "drug-related" or "gang-related". This was an innocent man being stabbed in the bag and being left to bleed to death in the middle of Baslow Road. 

Stabbed in the "bag"?  Lucky he was carrying a bag then!

20 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

Today's teenagers have zero respect for anyone or anything. Of course not across the board as there are still some good kids out there, but also a lot of idiots. There is no fear of rebuke anymore. No consequence. Fear of nothing. 

I think you've got this slightly wrong.  The majority of teenagers have respect for most things, a very small minority don't.  It's that way round, not the way you have described it.

I do think that there has been an erosion of social standards in our society over the last half decade and this hasn't helped.  But the main problem behind anti-social kids is the way they have been brought up.  Their parents, or carers, have an important role to play in teaching them respect for people and property and having a good set of morals and values. 

But, it's a very hard job to do that.  It takes a lot of time and effort.  And it's uncomfortable at times because you have to discipline them along the way to keep them in check.  It's far easier to let the little loves be "free spirits" and do what the hell they like.  To set no boundaries for expected behaviour.  To not know where they are or what they are doing at any time and to not even care.  This, I think, coupled with a lack of discipline in schools, means some young children are raised without any boundaries and we pay for that later when they become dangerous delinquents within our society.

I'm not sure any of this has anything to do with the stabbing at Totley though.  There was some further detail on social media last night saying that the attacker was a black male and there was no reported motive for the attack. i.e. it wasn't a robbery, and it wasn't drug or gang related as far as we know.  So, it just sounds like a bit of wanton violence for the sake of it.  This is particularly worrying because there's a lack of explanation for it.  And I certainly don't think your explanation as dismissing the majority of teenagers as having zero respect has anything to do with this whatsoever.

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

I think you've got this slightly wrong.  The majority of teenagers have respect for most things, a very small minority don't.  It's that way round, not the way you have described it.

I do think that there has been an erosion of social standards in our society over the last half decade and this hasn't helped.  But the main problem behind anti-social kids is the way they have been brought up.  Their parents, or carers, have an important role to play in teaching them respect for people and property and having a good set of morals and values. 

But, it's a very hard job to do that.  It takes a lot of time and effort.  And it's uncomfortable at times because you have to discipline them along the way to keep them in check.  It's far easier to let the little loves be "free spirits" and do what the hell they like.  To set no boundaries for expected behaviour.  To not know where they are or what they are doing at any time and to not even care.  This, I think, coupled with a lack of discipline in schools, means some young children are raised without any boundaries and we pay for that later when they become dangerous delinquents within our society.

I'm not sure any of this has anything to do with the stabbing at Totley though.  There was some further detail on social media last night saying that the attacker was a black male and there was no reported motive for the attack. i.e. it wasn't a robbery, and it wasn't drug or gang related as far as we know.  So, it just sounds like a bit of wanton violence for the sake of it.  This is particularly worrying because there's a lack of explanation for it.  And I certainly don't think your explanation as dismissing the majority of teenagers as having zero respect has anything to do with this whatsoever.

You do know that you've just contradicted yourself?

You can't have it all ways, saying in one hand the delinquent sector is a product of bad parenting, then say you can't tar them with the same brush across the board?

For every decent kid out there, there's a polar opposite developing into a social monster. As much as I wish this wasn't the case, it sadly is.

Body for body, pound for pound the standards of behaviour over the last X amount of years has dropped and there truly is no respect. If the trend continues, adult conversation like this will be a thing of the past, and future adults will prefer to use violence over voice. 

I do get you with your explanation that they aren't all that same but should the trend continue, then future generations are going to grow up as potentially sick individuals. X

1 minute ago, BrexitGuy said:

You do know that you've just contradicted yourself?

You can't have it all ways, saying in one hand the delinquent sector is a product of bad parenting, then say you can't tar them with the same brush across the board?

For every decent kid out there, there's a polar opposite developing into a social monster. As much as I wish this wasn't the case, it sadly is.

Body for body, pound for pound the standards of behaviour over the last X amount of years has dropped and there truly is no respect. If the trend continues, adult conversation like this will be a thing of the past, and future adults will prefer to use violence over voice. 

I do get you with your explanation that they aren't all that same but should the trend continue, then future generations are going to grow up as potentially sick individuals. X

You genuinely think that half of all kids are developing into  'social monsters'?

As youve stated it as a fact can you please provide links to some evidence?

6 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

You genuinely think that half of all kids are developing into  'social monsters'?

As youve stated it as a fact can you please provide links to some evidence?

Good old SF, always wanting proofs and links. What ever happened to the option of having a personal opinion on subjects? Even in courts of law, a judge will ask "In Your Opinion"

Behaviour has changed significantly over the years, as proved with the introduction of ADHD as an explanation of bad behaviour. It's with bitter reluctance that I post this https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg158/chapter/introduction 

If people can't read and listen to each others views without the need to demand the reasoning and proof behind it, then maybe they have problems making their own minds up. I certainly don't need any link or proof behind what anyone says. If that's what they think, then so be it. 

We are not the judge and jury over each others thought process. If that were the case, none of us would be able to get out of bed in a morning without a link proving the bedroom floor wasn't made of lava. X

17 minutes ago, BrexitGuy said:

Good old SF, always wanting proofs and links. What ever happened to the option of having a personal opinion on subjects? Even in courts of law, a judge will ask "In Your Opinion"

Behaviour has changed significantly over the years, as proved with the introduction of ADHD as an explanation of bad behaviour. It's with bitter reluctance that I post this https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg158/chapter/introduction 

If people can't read and listen to each others views without the need to demand the reasoning and proof behind it, then maybe they have problems making their own minds up. I certainly don't need any link or proof behind what anyone says. If that's what they think, then so be it. 

We are not the judge and jury over each others thought process. If that were the case, none of us would be able to get out of bed in a morning without a link proving the bedroom floor wasn't made of lava. X

To avoid any further confusion  in the future perhaps you could state that something is just your opinion then, ' As much as I wish this wasn't the case, it sadly is'  implies that it is a fact.

Thank you.

Edited by nikki-red

3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Stabbed in the "bag"?  Lucky he was carrying a bag then!

I'm glad you can find humour in it! 

2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

There was some further detail on social media last night saying that the attacker was a black male and there was no reported motive for the attack. i.e. it wasn't a robbery, and it wasn't drug or gang related as far as we know.  So, it just sounds like a bit of wanton violence for the sake of it.  

What has his skin colour got to do with it? 

21 hours ago, OneSon said:

I'm glad you can find humour in it! 

What has his skin colour got to do with it? 

I found no humour in the article.  I found it sloppy and careless that someone should report on such a serious topic and not know or bother to correct an obvious mistake, which detracts from the seriousness of the story.

What has his skin colour got to do with it?  It's a descriptor of the man.  That is, if indeed it is accurate, and I have no evidence of that at all, I am repeating what someone who lives in the local area had apparently said on social media, and I heard that second-hand too - so it may be a load of codswallop.

As far as I know there has been no description of the man issued by police.  But when they do, I hope they tell us everything they know about him, height, build, hair colour, skin colour, clothing, accent, everything they can.  Because that will help us identify him and hopefully help the police to find and arrest him.

There are some people, and you sound like one of them, who would prefer to leave skin colour out of it, because they see that as racist.   We had a similar situation in Rotherham  a while ago where people were reluctant to identify people by their skin colour and race for fear of being accused of being racist.  I don't subscribe to that view myself.  

Edited by DerbyTup