Weird Phone Call

I worked few years as a telephone debt collector, and

you are right, collection agent cant do absolutely nothing over the phone if debt owner does not identify himself, but, from my experience, it is better to cooperate and make a payment deal with, in this case, a collection agency, to avoid possible further expenses and penalties.

If it is a genuine debt collector than I'd expect them to identify fully the name of the organisation they work for, explain in relation to what they are calling and give me a name and number to contact them on. I would then ring them back before discussing any personal details.

Also always make a note of the time/date/length of call. So you can prove the conversation happened in case it is required.

When I had an IT-security related role I had loads of training on how personal data can be misused. A date of birth, address and full name is usually enough to trace other data such as e-mail accounts, bank accounts, internet provider and so on.

An experienced hacker can clean you out completely if you demonstrate a valuable enough target.

If it is a genuine debt collector than I'd expect them to identify fully the name of the organisation they work for, explain in relation to what they are calling and give me a name and number to contact them on. I would then ring them back before discussing any personal details.

Also always make a note of the time/date/length of the call. So you can prove the conversation happened in case it is required.

When I had an IT-security related role I had loads of training on how personal data can be misused. A date of birth, address, and full name is usually enough to trace other data such as e-mail accounts, bank accounts, internet provider and so on.

An experienced hacker can clean you out completely if you demonstrate a valuable enough target.

You are right about this 100%. That's why, on Facebook, you have those "enter your name and day of birth to found what you were in previous life" and similar "games"

I am amazed at how many people are falling for stuff like that.

I find the quickest way to get rid of them is to ask: “ What is YOUR telephone number ? They always put the phone down straight away.

When asked for my name I usually say "you must already know as it you that phoned me"!

I find the quickest way to get rid of them is to ask: “ What is YOUR telephone number ? They always put the phone down straight away.

The ones over here actually give you a number to call and it's at that point they ask for all your info. The first call is to tell you that you owe the tax dept. a sum of money and the mounties will be on their way type of thing, unless you call that toll free number. There was a hilarious recording issued by a local news outlet on the internet showing a guy from Ontario calling them back and he had the guy at the other end in knots, until the guy slammed his phone down, very funny.

Just had a bit of a weird phone call from 03333201828, ask for me by name when I ask her who she was she wouldn't tell me tell until I told her my date of birth, address ect.

When I ask her again and for the name of the firm she wouldn't tell me till I told her my Date of Birth and address.

When I told her you have got to by law at least tell me your name and the name of the firm other wise I terminating the phone call, she then hung up.

I can only find little bits about this phone number and was wondering if any one has had the same.

Thanks.

Its Marston. You can use a website called whocallsme

https://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num=03333201828

Just like to say you were right Resident it is Marston debt recovery ….

Turn's out it is a speeding fine that I have been paying monthly with-out fail, yet they are saying I haven't paid and I own £78 ( I do have prove I have paid) and since there first started to contact me I have made two more payments of £20 to the court online.

I have contacted them and told I am disputing this and to put any action on hold as I have paid and even sent them prove, and I am waiting for a reply from court.

Yet guess what some-one came to the house at 6.40am, yes that is the morning creeped up to the door push a letter though the letter box saying he tried to contact me for FULL PAYMENT ( he was that quite even the dogs didn't hear him) even so what makes him think that any one is going to answer the door at that time in the morning let alone pay him.

Is there any thing that can be done about this sort of harassment to two disable people one who as had a heart attack and does not need this stress and up set. not when the speeding fine is been paid.

Just like to say you were right Resident it is Marston debt recovery ….

Turn's out it is a speeding fine that I have been paying monthly with-out fail, yet they are saying I haven't paid and I own £78 ( I do have prove I have paid) and since there first started to contact me I have made two more payments of £20 to the court online.

I have contacted them and told I am disputing this and to put any action on hold as I have paid and even sent them prove, and I am waiting for a reply from court.

Yet guess what some-one came to the house at 6.40am, yes that is the morning creeped up to the door push a letter though the letter box saying he tried to contact me for FULL PAYMENT ( he was that quite even the dogs didn't hear him) even so what makes him think that any one is going to answer the door at that time in the morning let alone pay him.

Is there any thing that can be done about this sort of harassment to two disable people one who as had a heart attack and does not need this stress and up set. not when the speeding fine is been paid.

I'd honestly get legal advice. You've told them you are disputing their claim and have proof to the contrary.

Is there any thing that can be done about this sort of harassment

Sadly not.

A few years back, a colleague of mine had two clowns from Marston's turn up on his doorstep at 6.30am one morning demanding £1,600 for an unpaid speeding fine from 2008. He asked them why on earth they thought that and they showed him an iPad with a spread sheet with one line which was his name, the words 'unpaid fine' and £1,600.

When he asked them for more details they told him that it was none of their concern, they just want the money. He saw a solicitor who advised him to contact the Historic Debts section of the Magistrates Court. They told him that the fine was actually for failing to appear in court to answer a speeding charge. It turns out that he was driving a works car when he was flashed by a speed camera and when the Notice of Intended Prosecution was sent out to his employer, they sent it back with a wrong address, hence him never receiving the summons, not attending court, being fined in his absence and never receiving the court letter informing him of the fine.

The Historic Debts section were very understanding and told him to go to a solicitor, make a statuary declaration saying that he had never lived at the wrong address and as soon as they received a copy of it they would simply cancel the debt. The next day on his way to work, Marston's arrived and blocked his drive to stop him going to work if he didn't pay up in full. He told them that he had found out where the debt had come from and it was going to be sorted out. They refused to move their van and only moved it when a neighbour rang the police.

The next morning he went out to work to find that his car had been clamped by Marston's. He rang the number on the letter they had put through his door and they said that he had three days to pay up or they would come back and seize his car and sell it to pay off the debt. As his car was worth over £10K he borrowed the money and paid up. When they came to release his car, he asked them why they hadn't knocked on his door before clamping the car and they told him they had knocked three times. When he told his neighbour what had happened she laughed and said 'Is that right? They parked twenty yards up the road, sneaked through your gate, clamped the car then put the letter through your letter box very quietly and drove off!'

These people are absolute scum and sadly there is not a great deal you can do about them as they are acting with the authority of the courts.

Sadly not.

A few years back, a colleague of mine had two clowns from Marston's turn up on his doorstep at 6.30am one morning demanding £1,600 for an unpaid speeding fine from 2008. He asked them why on earth they thought that and they showed him an iPad with a spread sheet with one line which was his name, the words 'unpaid fine' and £1,600.

When he asked them for more details they told him that it was none of their concern, they just want the money. He saw a solicitor who advised him to contact the Historic Debts section of the Magistrates Court. They told him that the fine was actually for failing to appear in court to answer a speeding charge. It turns out that he was driving a works car when he was flashed by a speed camera and when the Notice of Intended Prosecution was sent out to his employer, they sent it back with a wrong address, hence him never receiving the summons, not attending court, being fined in his absence and never receiving the court letter informing him of the fine.

The Historic Debts section were very understanding and told him to go to a solicitor, make a statuary declaration saying that he had never lived at the wrong address and as soon as they received a copy of it they would simply cancel the debt. The next day on his way to work, Marston's arrived and blocked his drive to stop him going to work if he didn't pay up in full. He told them that he had found out where the debt had come from and it was going to be sorted out. They refused to move their van and only moved it when a neighbour rang the police.

The next morning he went out to work to find that his car had been clamped by Marston's. He rang the number on the letter they had put through his door and they said that he had three days to pay up or they would come back and seize his car and sell it to pay off the debt. As his car was worth over £10K he borrowed the money and paid up. When they came to release his car, he asked them why they hadn't knocked on his door before clamping the car and they told him they had knocked three times. When he told his neighbour what had happened she laughed and said 'Is that right? They parked twenty yards up the road, sneaked through your gate, clamped the car then put the letter through your letter box very quietly and drove off!'

These people are absolute scum and sadly there is not a great deal you can do about them as they are acting with the authority of the courts.

Who the hell are Marstons. ? They would be arrested if they tried stunts like that over here. No collection agency or the like, can come to your home and harass you for money owed, all they can do is phone you endlessly, garnish your wages and screw up your credit rating if you continue to ignore them. They cannot confront you in person or come to your home, and this includes all levels of government.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Marstons are the pirates who clamped my neighbours motability vehicle.

When she pleaded with them to release it stating she had to take her son to an important hospital appointment they just laughed and told her to pay up then.

She had a right old time getting it sorted but in the end it was.

Marstons are the pirates who clamped my neighbours motability vehicle.

When she pleaded with them to release it stating she had to take her son to an important hospital appointment they just laughed and told her to pay up then.

She had a right old time getting it sorted but in the end it was.

These people are nothing but thugs, the only reason they get away with it is that debt is still stigmatised over yonder, even though the whole damn world runs on debt. Although I am debt free now, I have had my moments when I was new to the country of Canada and layoffs through recessions etc were rampant. Saying that I have never once had an organisation of any kind, that I owed money to, approach me in person or come to my home.

What I am reading on this thread, utterly disgusts me.