New Statesman article

All the A grade envy In Sheffield seems to be coming from the usual ten Bob tories

Seems a fairly accurate article to me and describes one of the things I like about the city.

To add to the bit about why the west traditionally became the affluent side (and the east the effluent? ;)) I heard it was partly because of the way the wind generally blows- from west to east- so the rich could avoid the smog of the industry.

When i came to Sheffield for an open day on the urban geography studies course at Hallam, the lecturer told me Sheffield was one of the most segregated cities in the U.K. I was going to make a film one once: travelling on a bus from Dore across to Shiregreen, pointing out shocking statistics like how much longer a woman in Dore will live compared to a woman in Shiregreen

Sadly, it has not been an issue for much of the left in the city, many who come from S7/11, etc, there is yet another meeting(SWP front) tonight, on the 'rise of fascism' etc, there hasn't been one on economic inequality for some time, and then people wonder why many voted Brexit.

Edited by gamezone07

It’s just the opinion of one internet blogger - it’s not fact.

Why is everyone getting out of their pram over it.

Who is Sam Gregory? Do we have any information as to how he’s qualified to make this statement about the city?

Personally the article reads like utter opinionated tosh but it’s up to others to form their own view.

......a Berlin Wall across the city - what utter rubbish.

presumably, a resident of Park Hill reading the post on city metric

https://www.citymetric.com/fabric/massive-cliff-windows-regeneration-sheffield-s-park-hill-estate-3462

Berlin was spilt though war and politics into East and West Sheffield has never been in such an situation.

I do feel that certain areas of Sheffield have their own vibe like Attercliffe has it's industry feel to it were Dore has it's middle classness. Sheffield is no different to any other city I have travelled too over the years I spent time living in London in the early 2000s a ture melting pot and different areas reflect that Sheffield is no different in that way.

I think that inequality in society has far more to do with national government than local government.

Thatcher’s laissez faire economics have ultimately led us to our current position. Aided and abetted by Blair and Cameron/Clegg.

All the council can do is to put sticking plasters on the gaping wounds caused by the big boys and girls. So yes, it is all Thatcher’s fault, in that she started it and her acolytes continued it.

Space left below for you to ask another inane question.

To be fair I think all elements of the better off in society are complicité here. The liberal centre ( including New Labour) and cynical neo-liberal right wing, have turned a blind eye to the reality of life in poorer areas of the country. The Leave vote in the referendum seemed to have come as a shock to the BBC establishment and Guardianistas of this world.

I was in Crooksmoor the other day and today in Goldthorpe. Unbelievable contrast.

The New Statesman article is bang on the money.

To be honest Marsaud perhaps you should avoid responding to Hackylad, there’s clearly a Safeguarding Adults and vulnerability issue here.

---------- Post added 20-09-2018 at 20:12 ----------

Berlin was spilt though war and politics into East and West Sheffield has never been in such an situation.

I do feel that certain areas of Sheffield have their own vibe like Attercliffe has it's industry feel to it were Dore has it's middle classness. Sheffield is no different to any other city I have travelled too over the years I spent time living in London in the early 2000s a ture melting pot and different areas reflect that Sheffield is no different in that way.

I wouldn’t agree with that, I think the contrast between south/ west Sheffield and north/east Sheffield is as stark as the NS article says. I’m always meeting people who come to the city and think it’s great, but they only ever seem to visit the wealthier areas. Page Hall is about 5 miles from Endcliffe Park, but a million miles away socially and economically. I do appreciate other cities are similar

Totley puts a spanner in the accuracy of the clean split.

Totley puts a spanner in the accuracy of the clean split.

Isn’t Totley a wealthy area ?

---------- Post added 20-09-2018 at 20:19 ----------

When i came to Sheffield for an open day on the urban geography studies course at Hallam, the lecturer told me Sheffield was one of the most segregated cities in the U.K. I was going to make a film one once: travelling on a bus from Dore across to Shiregreen, pointing out shocking statistics like how much longer a woman in Dore will live compared to a woman in Shiregreen

Sadly, it has not been an issue for much of the left in the city, many who come from S7/11, etc, there is yet another meeting(SWP front) tonight, on the 'rise of fascism' etc, there hasn't been one on economic inequality for some time, and then people wonder why many voted Brexit.

I would have thought that any analysis of the rise of fascism inevitably identifies economic inequality as a causal factor.

---------- Post added 20-09-2018 at 20:21 ----------

once again, you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to the discussion.

Please, give it a rest.

Never misses an opportunity to appear limited

To be fair I think all elements of the better off in society are complicité here. The liberal centre ( including New Labour) and cynical neo-liberal right wing, have turned a blind eye to the reality of life in poorer areas of the country. The Leave vote in the referendum seemed to have come as a shock to the BBC establishment and Guardianistas of this world.

I was in Crooksmoor the other day and today in Goldthorpe. Unbelievable contrast.

You have a point, but I don’t believe that most people vote to make inequality bigger. I know plenty of Tories who think that their philosophy is the way to reduce inequality. They are wrong, of course:D.

One problem we have is that politics has failed to keep up with technology. The capacity to conspire and to hide money from tax authorities has led to a breed of untouchable companies. Imagine how much good it would do for us to be able to extract fair taxation from Apple, Google, Amazon and friends. That could go some way towards regenerating Goldthorpe.

To be honest Marsaud perhaps you should avoid responding to Hackylad, there’s clearly a Safeguarding Adults and vulnerability issue here.

I do try to avoid talking to him. Last time I challenged him about his inability to contribute positively, I got a ban with no explanation of why. I guess he must be some sort of protected species.

You have a point, but I don’t believe that most people vote to make inequality bigger. I know plenty of Tories who think that their philosophy is the way to reduce inequality. They are wrong, of course:D.

One problem we have is that politics has failed to keep up with technology. The capacity to conspire and to hide money from tax authorities has led to a breed of untouchable companies. Imagine how much good it would do for us to be able to extract fair taxation from Apple, Google, Amazon and friends. That could go some way towards regenerating Goldthorpe.

I do try to avoid talking to him. Last time I challenged him about his inability to contribute positively, I got a ban with no explanation of why. I guess he must be some sort of protected species.

Well I’ve done the same and noticed others have done so. I may have a ban’coming in that case

---------- Post added 20-09-2018 at 20:42 ----------

Re: your comment about the Tories you know and how they are well intentioned. Ken Loach described the current govts policies as «* conscious cruelty*».

Doesn’t the fact that rich benefactors to the Tory party and companies who use every tactic to avoid paying taxes whilst also contributing to Tory funds belie the «* well intentioned*» argument ?

---------- Post added 20-09-2018 at 20:44 ----------

By the way you’re not a fan of Fabien Marsaud, the French rapper, are you «* Grandes Corps Malade «* ( stage name ) ?

---------- Post added 20-09-2018 at 20:12 ----------

I wouldn’t agree with that, I think the contrast between south/ west Sheffield and north/east Sheffield is as stark as the NS article says. I’m always meeting people who come to the city and think it’s great, but they only ever seem to visit the wealthier areas. Page Hall is about 5 miles from Endcliffe Park, but a million miles away socially and economically. I do appreciate other cities are similar

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

What roads mark this iron curtain then?

I've heard Whirlowdale Road called the poverty line. You are either above it or below it, allegedly.