Child Tax credits untill 20 yrs old?

I was surprised that parents can get tax credit amount to over £100 per week for children that are <20 and in full-time education.

I think I have that right; but it seems they can do A-levels and get paid, yet go to university and it costs them thousands.

So if they do 10-20 hours and then the £100 pw on top, they are not doing too bad.

What has happened to people leaving school at 15 or 16 and going on to be an apprentice learning a trade , or working in retail ,delivery's, on a farm or in a hospital as a nurse or similar ,How can children be still mod cuddled up to the age of twenty it dun't make sense as half of em who go to Uni still end up doing the jobs mentioned .

What has happened to people leaving school at 15 or 16 and going on to be an apprentice learning a trade , or working in retail ,delivery's, on a farm or in a hospital as a nurse or similar ,How can children be still mod cuddled up to the age of twenty it dun't make sense as half of em who go to Uni still end up doing the jobs mentioned .

They are throwing money at people with children, whilst the poor starve and the NHS let people die, at least that is what some say about the situation.

My daughter is 18 and has done 2 years at college, and has now signed up for another 2 years.

Not sure if the £80/£100 per week influenced her decision, but its very concerning.

I used the word child credits, when I meant WTC.

Hang on, what £80/£100 per week? Weren't you talking about WTC that the parents could claim up until the age of 20? Why would something you can potentially claim affect her decision to stay in education?

---------- Post added 22-09-2018 at 09:06 ----------

By £20 child benefit, do you mean the "Family Allowance" (if its still called that!) that is paid to all parents, regardless of income?

I don't know if you're aware also, students don't pay tax on their wages.

Yes, they most definitely do, but they're likely to be under the threshold and have nothing to pay in reality.

---------- Post added 22-09-2018 at 09:08 ----------

Nursing is now taught at degree level.

And why exactly would anyone who CAN achieve something at university decide instead to work in retail, delivery or on a farm. That sounds like a very quick shortcut to a live of low pay and hard work.

---------- Post added 22-09-2018 at 09:10 ----------

They are throwing money at people with children, whilst the poor starve and the NHS let people die, at least that is what some say about the situation.

It's a benefit available to people with children in school if they're low paid and to help ensure that they aren't living in poverty themselves.

The NHS don't "let people die" and without this benefit some of these families would join the starving poor you're talking about. :roll:

Hang on, what £80/£100 per week? Weren't you talking about WTC that the parents could claim up until the age of 20? Why would something you can potentially claim affect her decision to stay in education?

She was going to have a gap year, but study a little; then someone must have mentioned money, enrol for three A levels instead of just one(cannot do just one in one year, she says).

---------- Post added 22-09-2018 at 09:25 ----------

The NHS don't "let people die" and without this benefit some of these families would join the starving poor you're talking about. :roll:

NHS funding cuts 'will lead to 100 avoidable deaths per day'.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/nhs-funding-cuts-100-deaths-per-day-public-spending-squeeze-british-medical-journal-a8058101.html

She doesn't get the money... If there's WTC to be had, you get them.

"Will lead to" isn't "letting" current tense.

I'm confused though as to why you're attacking WTC specifically and trying to link it to cuts in NHS funding?

She doesn't get the money... If there's WTC to be had, you get them.

"Will lead to" isn't "letting" current tense.

I'm confused though as to why you're attacking WTC specifically and trying to link it to cuts in NHS funding?

If the child was paying board it would affect the child directly.

We are, as a country, still in major debt, where will the next cuts come from? The NHS needs more funding, parents need to learn to pay for their own stuff, not get bailed out by the taxpayer.

What? This has all got a bit weird, first you confuse child and working tax credit, now it's somehow affecting your daughters decision, and I've really no idea what paying board has to do with it. It's still YOU that gets WTC for a child in full time education, not the child.

Countries are routinely in debt, it's entirely normal. It's not necessarily desirable to be operating without debt because countries can borrow very very cheaply and debt is eroded by inflation.

So, at the end of all this, was your point just to attack poor parents and claim that they shouldn't get WTC?

Countries are routinely in debt, it's entirely normal. It's not necessarily desirable to be operating without debt because countries can borrow very very cheaply and debt is eroded by inflation.

So, at the end of all this, was your point just to attack poor parents and claim that they shouldn't get WTC?

When a benefit affects the normal decisions about what direction their future path should take, I think that is a negative; am I attacking poor parents, judge for yourself.

Yes, I think you're attacking poor parents

they are throwing money at people with children, whilst the poor starve and the NHS let people die

I think you've no idea how much WTC related to having children actually costs or how that compares to the budget for the NHS. And you're also ignoring the fact that if these parents didn't get WTC then they would be the starving poor who you are concerned about. It makes no sense.

I think you've no idea how much WTC related to having children actually costs or how that compares to the budget for the NHS. And you're also ignoring the fact that if these parents didn't get WTC then they would be the starving poor who you are concerned about. It makes no sense.

Most benefits are frozen and do not increase with inflation, no one is suggesting WFTC should be scrapped.

So what are you suggesting?

You were surprised in your opening post, but actually most of the details were wrong. Are you still surprised that WTC child portion applies until 20 if the child is in full time education? Do you think it should change somehow?

So what are you suggesting?

You were surprised in your opening post, but actually most of the details were wrong. Are you still surprised that WTC child portion applies until 20 if the child is in full time education? Do you think it should change somehow?

My views are always based on fairness. So when you say WTC is still available for children in full-time education up to the age of 20, that is not strictly true, because university if full-time education and parents cannot claim WTC. Or have I got that wrong?