Before bathrooms

Choogling posted.

Would love to know when lead plumbing was discontinued ,i have just done a refurb of my bathroom and had to rip out the old lead water, waste  and gas pipes the bath waste pipe had rotted through and was soaking the hall ceiling ,the house was built about 1900.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it gets blamed for everything but didn't water taste  crisper out of lead pipes - LOL.

Our old house on Randall St like most of the houses around there was one of four in a yard. The two passage houses had bigger yards while the two corner houses  both had a wash room come kitchen  (not a bath room) and more of a strip of land come path to the block of four toilets at the top of the yard, zinc baths would be hung from the toilet blocks gable wall. 

Candles or Tilly lamps were the order of the day but someone would always have a burst pipe some where during the winter months.

Highlight of any dark evening would be when someone would hear a scream in one of the yards as someone would no doubt have fallen for the naughty boys trick of placing a drawing pin (in Plasticine) on one of the outside toilets door latches.

Happy Daze.

12 hours ago, choogling said:

Would love to know when lead plumbing was discontinued ,i have just done a refurb of my bathroom and had to rip out the old lead water, waste  and gas pipes the bath waste pipe had rotted through and was soaking the hall ceiling ,the house was built about 1900.

Sounds daft but i love the smell of carbolic soap, don't suppose its still sold.

Yes you can still buy carbolic soap, look online and I love the smell too - hospitals used to smell clean too using this and dettol etc now there isn't really any smell.