New to growing veg - raised beds

Hi

I have just built some raised beds ready to start planting veg next year. They are 14 inches deep and there are 2 of 7ft x 2ft.

I'm planning on following the square foot method of planting and am after some advice on what compost/soil etc to fill the beds with.

Thanks

Sarah

i would use a mix of manure ,soil,old compast and sand and some irish peat,but thats just my mix,but it also depends what you are growing?

Lots of ways to go with this.

If you can get aged manure use that, if the manure is fresh it will contain seeds, it is better to compost it down before use.

A mixture of soil and compost is the way to begin but without knowing the soil type it's hard to know what to advise. Basset one I assume is thinking of predominantly clay soil which is mostly found in this area.

Having your own compost pile is the best advise that I could give anyone wanting to start a veg garden.

If you want to fill the bed, you could start now with some kitchen waste, newspaper, manure, compost bin contents. Almost anything really, just don’t spend money on it. Then put a decent layer of topsoil on and let nature take its course over the autumn and winter.

Some local breweries will give you spent hops for free. They would make an ideal bottom layer. Nice and bulky and moisture retentive too.

A main crop of potatoes is usually a good way to prepare the soil for other veg.