Trying to work out what this is / purpose of it

Hi,

So i was doing some work on my house the other day as were trying to decide whether we should repair or replace our staircase.

After removing some of the trim it exposed some electrics which i was expecting to be there. However, this round metal casing this there and is currently wired up and for the life of me I can't work out what it is doing.

I did a little investigating and one of the pairs coming off it appears to run into our 3 gang light switch in the kitchen. I'm not sure if it serves a purpose for the lights or if its just running to there to complete a ring.

I've attached a picture just incase anyone else has came across this thing before or can shed some light on it.

My main aim is to understand what it is doing and whether we actually need it.

Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/no8F5uX.jpg[/img]"]no8F5uX.jpg

i think it may be an alarm or horn,siren. I'm going on the centre screw which is adjustable. The kind of thing is on vehicle horns.

They do look like nice lights but i dont think its relevant to my post.

Where do the 2 white connectors go?

Thats what i was thinking but no where else in the house has any kind of alarm system. I might try a take it off the wall to see if there are any product codes. Strange place to put it, boxed in under the stairs

---------- Post added 14-09-2018 at 15:47 ----------

What two white connectors are going into a 12v mains wire. Just tried to trace them but i cant go any further without ripping the carpet up so I guess that bit will have to wait.

They do look like nice lights but i dont think its relevant to my post.

Given that the name on the label on the "thing" is Optelma I'd say that the response was very relevant.

I'd say it was some kind of transformer for a lighting system converting from 240v to 12v.

It’s an older style toroidal transformer supplying 12 v for a lighting system

I think Max and Ianparkin are right.

The white sleeving is HellermannTyton White Fibreglass Cable Sleeve - Braided.

There's 12v indicated on the two whie cables . It's louvred-for cooling purposes. There doesn't appear to be anything moving inside the unit.So, baba boom ! -12volt supply for some lighting.

Caution.Judging from the colours;there may be a 240 v single phase supply still pressent at the unit.

Edited by petemcewan

It's a toroidal transformer for lights - I have them myself. Probably got or had a string of halogen lamps off it