More hypocrisy from the Archbishop

Many people have share portfolios whithout a clue what they've invested, often via mixed investment funds.

I doubt the Archbishop of Canterbury, sits down and picks them out himself, I'm sure he has accountants to do that. Nevertheless it's an embarrassing oversight.

But once again people are in danger of shooting the messenger rather than listening to the message. Here is a man fighting the corner of ordinary people like you and me. We should support him.

Maybe he should check before making the comments he has......

Listen to the debate concerning Archbishop Justin Welby's call for taxing the wealthy on:

Sunday, BBC Radio 4, Sunday 9 September 2018, 7:10am

Presenter: William Crawley (about 16 minutes into the programme)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bgw2mg

Listen to Ian Paul, educated at Dulwich College, (a fee paying independent school, so privileged), and university (St John's College, Oxford, more privilege), now a 'reverend doctor', married to a GP (average GP salary £72,165 pa, so not an ordinary family on an average salary, but, again, privileged).

Paul wishes to distract from any idea of political activism. He believes that Christians should turn their eyes heavenward and focus on salvation, not go about challenging the sickening injustices that destroys lives down here on earth by doing such things as calling for just tax reform. Well, he would say that wouldn't he, he's rich, privileged, he's an evangelical. It's the evangelical doctrine, let the poor look after themselves, turn to Christ, the Messiah that never showed up, and look forward to heaven, sometime, whenever, maybe never.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/salaries/General-Practitioner-Salaries

Many people have share portfolios whithout a clue what they've invested, often via mixed investment funds.

I doubt the Archbishop of Canterbury, sits down and picks them out himself, I'm sure he has accountants to do that. Nevertheless it's an embarrassing oversight.

No excuse, he's the head of the CofE. The buck stops with him.

But once again people are in danger of shooting the messenger rather than listening to the message. Here is a man fighting the corner of ordinary people like you and me. We should support him.

Or are you just saying that because he's laying into the Tories?

No excuse, he's the head of the CofE. The buck stops with him.

Or are you just saying that because he's laying into the Tories?

He isn't laying into the Tories, he's simply saying it like it is. He's basically saying what Jesus would say.

I'm saying, if the cap fits,...

Edited by Anna B

He isn't laying into the Tories, he's simply saying it like it is. He's basically saying what Jesus would say.

I'm saying, if the cap fits,...

Corbyn said what? :hihi:

This messenger was elected by the members of his organization and approved by the Queen on the advice of the Government.

His oaths of allegiance are (1) to the Church of England and (2) to the Queen. His world does not touch "ordinary people" and I certainly do not want him telling me what to do. He and his CofE cronies already use their political power to control our lives.

If it was the CEO of a big company not knowing what their money was invested in you'd be calling for his head on a platter..

If it was the CEO of a big company not knowing what their money was invested in you'd be calling for his head on a platter..

Possibly, because the CEO of a big company is in business, and business is all about making money.

The Church is not a business, or at least that is not its primary function.

Possibly, because the CEO of a big company is in business, and business is all about making money.

The Church is not a business, or at least that is not its primary function.

They are a business in all bar name......they're sitting on assets worth over £7 billion...and payu no tax..you're not really saying that the arch bishop shouldn't know what's happenning in his organisation are you? Double standards Anna?

They are a business in all bar name......they're sitting on assets worth over £7 billion...and payu no tax..you're not really saying that the arch bishop shouldn't know what's happenning in his organisation are you? Double standards Anna?

They are a business in the sense that they own property and employ people, (I assume those people pay tax.) Some of the 7 billion (is that the correct amount?) will be used on good works, foundations etc, but yes, they should pay tax on investments. I was going to say like other big buisnesses do, but then that's a moot point isn't it...

I don't know what the Archbishop knows, but I wouldn't really call it 'his organisation.' He is in charge of the spiritual aspect, the front man if you will. I expect there's a secular arm of the CofE that deals with finance. Mind you, he is an ex banker, so should be well able to understand the importance of this.

Apparently the CofE currently have £8.3 billion in investments including in Alphabet Inc, Google's holding company. They also hold shares in Microsoft Inc; Baidu Inc, (Chinese Internet services group), Naspers Ltd, (S. African based multinational internet and media group); Oracle Corporation, (American multinational computer technology corporation); as well as a number of other better known multinationals. Not bad for an organisation that doesn't like 'Evil' tech firms.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/church-defends-tech-investments-amazon/

CofE still sticking with the line; "As with other issues, we take the view that it is more effective to be in the room with these companies, seeking change as an active shareholder, than speaking from the sidelines.”

Most hypocritical part though has to be Welby's attack on zero hours contracts as, "The reincarnation of ancient evil." It transpires that at least 2 Anglican cathedrals have advertised for jobs with zero hour contracts

Religious leader in Hypocrisy shocker.( Just insert which ever religion you choose. ), they are all the same.