The digital world and OAPs ..

[/b]

Don't get me started on new computers...

Each time I change computers I lose the ability to do something I probably took for granted on my previous one. At the moment I can't print anything out on my expensive new super-dooper printer which needs a pilot's licence and a degree in engineering to make work...

Same with tellys, I"ve just bought a new smart tv, son in law has rigged it me up to the internet, you tube, Netflix, catch up, ETC. I have"nt got a clue what I"m doing, in fact I"m scared to press the buttons on the remote, I just stick with channel 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. what ever happened to the horizontal and vertical hold.

There's definitely a knowledge gap between the 'new' and 'old' OAP's. My Grandad was born in 1929 and worked in manual labour roles all his life, never had a need for or a desire to use a computer at all. The closest my Grandparents came to having a computer was an Atari console (and they only bought that for the grandkids to play on)

It's fair to say he has a phobia of modern technology and without me helping him out he'd be totally lost. About 8 years ago we convinced him to switch from VHS to TiVo and it still traumatises him now! I get at least one call every week to say it's broken or he's deleted something by accident! :hihi:

I manage all of his finances online... the other day I sat with him to pay his water bill and it totally blew his mind..."so how does the water company know to take the money?"..."how does the bank know to release the money?"..."what if they take too much money?"... bless him.

There's definitely a knowledge gap between the 'new' and 'old' OAP's. My Grandad was born in 1929 and worked in manual labour roles all his life, never had a need for or a desire to use a computer at all. The closest my Grandparents came to having a computer was an Atari console (and they only bought that for the grandkids to play on)

It's fair to say he has a phobia of modern technology and without me helping him out he'd be totally lost. About 8 years ago we convinced him to switch from VHS to TiVo and it still traumatises him now! I get at least one call every week to say it's broken or he's deleted something by accident! :hihi:

I manage all of his finances online... the other day I sat with him to pay his water bill and it totally blew his mind..."so how does the water company know to take the money?"..."how does the bank know to release the money?"..."what if they take too much money?"... bless him.

Whereas my Dad is 92 and is an absolute whiz on his computer. Taken to it like a duck to water. He loves it, and shows me how to do things.

Mind you his new TV seems to have foxed him. I think he's pining for an 'on/ off and a volume knob that you turn... :)

Same with tellys, I"ve just bought a new smart tv, son in law has rigged it me up to the internet, you tube, Netflix, catch up, ETC. I have"nt got a clue what I"m doing, in fact I"m scared to press the buttons on the remote, I just stick with channel 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. what ever happened to the horizontal and vertical hold.

Love your last line, I had 4 surgeries for a detached retina on my left eye and none went well. When I describe the vision to people my age I always say "Remember the old tellys with the vertical and horizontal buttons, well when you are almost there( but not quite) with the all the twiddling, well that's what the vision is like in my left eye" I try to omit the word crap . lol

---------- Post added 10-09-2018 at 12:16 ----------

I can't see the use of calculating:12 things at a penny three farthings each.

Even the answer is no use: one and nine pence.

Thank you Miss Thearle, teaching 2nd year infants 1946-7

If I'd known it would go into the dustbin of historyI wouldn't have bothered learning it

---------- Post added 10-09-2018 at 09:59 ----------

Because some software won't work on High Sierra I've had to partition my drive and install Mavericks on the second partition.

The next "upgrade" in OS will screw my expensive scanner and photoprinter.

I've even bought a laptop from e bay with XP on it so that I can run the LDS 1881 census.

I don't connect to the internet .

I used mental arithmetic for working out the odds for three winners in a round robin eg: 13/8 x 100/30x7/4 in tanners. That would even take a computer ages, by the time you punched all that information in, I would already have the answer.:D

Edited by Ontarian1981