Mountain bikers and walkers sharing paths

Last weekend we parked in the car park below Stanage Edge not far from Burbage and walked the path up to the edge. It's quite a steep path and bends its way up the hill with a lot of sharp turns, meaning you can't see that far ahead. During the walk two groups of mountain bikers rode down the path at speed and expected us to get out of the way - very little notice of them coming due to all the turns and no attempt to slow down on behalf of the mountain bikers. This isn't ok. We had young kids with us and they can't always judge which way a biker will go and reliably get out of the way. Even if we didn't have kids with us, it's not ok. These are shared spaces, bikes don't get priority just because they are going fast.

I have no objection to mountain bikes in the Peak District and often have a chat with bikers as they pass me, but it feels like we are inevitably heading towards a situation where mountain bikes will have to be excluded from some trails if riders can't view them as being shared equally with walkers.

It's a bridleway. You will get horses as well.

If you dont like shared traffic find a footpath...

Cyclists should give way to walkers on bridleways.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/41

Any member of the public shall have, as a right of way, the right to ride a bicycle, [not being a mechanically propelled vehicle], on any bridleway, but in exercising that right cyclists shall give way to pedestrians and persons on horseback.

They all noticed everyone and no one was hit...

Should they all be getting off and tugging forelock to the imperious walkers? It's a shared space...

They all noticed everyone and no one was hit...

Should they all be getting off and tugging forelock to the imperious walkers? It's a shared space...

No, I imagine there is a happy medium between cycling recklessly and getting off to push your bike.

Just a bit more awareness and consideration on the part of mountain bikers may be a good idea?

Last weekend we parked in the car park below Stanage Edge not far from Burbage and walked the path up to the edge. It's quite a steep path and bends its way up the hill with a lot of sharp turns, meaning you can't see that far ahead. During the walk two groups of mountain bikers rode down the path at speed and expected us to get out of the way - very little notice of them coming due to all the turns and no attempt to slow down on behalf of the mountain bikers. This isn't ok. We had young kids with us and they can't always judge which way a biker will go and reliably get out of the way. Even if we didn't have kids with us, it's not ok. These are shared spaces, bikes don't get priority just because they are going fast.

I have no objection to mountain bikes in the Peak District and often have a chat with bikers as they pass me, but it feels like we are inevitably heading towards a situation where mountain bikes will have to be excluded from some trails if riders can't view them as being shared equally with walkers.

I completely understand your frustration. Myself and a friend are out every weekend with our dogs in all different places and we find that most bikers are considerate and polite, but the odd few have no respect for anyone else around and ride far too quickly, swerving about on the path and will not move over for walkers. We even had one guy going so fast with his head down he hit my friend’s dog and ran over his back leg and he then had the cheek to start shouting at us.

I feel the ops pain.

"Some" mountain bikers are ridiculous. I've had them go past me doing 20+ mph on a narrow footpath. Inconsiderate, idiotic and dangerous.

Had one guy narrowly avoid us one time after doing that around a blind corner. He then proceeded at the same speed and we saw him slam on the brakes and come off as he tried to avoid hitting....a group of mountain bikers that had stopped for a breather. Karma that.

Why should he? I think the op doesn't mind shared traffic, all people have to do is to use a little consideration to other users and not act in a reckless and dangerous manner,

I must have read the OP differently to you. The way I read it was that he didnt mind shared traffic just that he expected some consideration from them for other users. Dont suppose you mind explaining how i misread that do you?

You want to try walking on the TPT - some must think its a racetrack 3 a breast full pelt.

We shouldn't have to but we avoid at weekends, full of absolute ********s.

It's disappointing when the minority of mountain bikers behave like this, especially after so much good work has been done between various groups to open up permissive paths (in addition to the existing bridleways) in the Peak District.

It's disappointing when the minority of mountain bikers behave like this, especially after so much good work has been done between various groups to open up permissive paths (in addition to the existing bridleways) in the Peak District.

As always it’s the minority spoiling it for the majority.