Climate Change thread

8 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Something I don't understand is why when it's fairly breezy like it has been recently, are we producing power from coal rather than letting more wind turbines spin?

https://grid.iamkate.com/

- there are not enough turbines to supply our needs.

- turbines are not stationary because of lack of demand.

- solid fuel stations cannot be simply turned on or off at will.

On 09/07/2022 at 08:23, cgksheff said:

- there are not enough turbines to supply our needs.

- turbines are not stationary because of lack of demand.

- solid fuel stations cannot be simply turned on or off at will.

None of those really answer the question.

For example if there are not enough turbines to supply our needs, why are they not all running at every opportunity? Why are they standing still when the wind blows?

Why aren't  all new builds fitted with solar panels included? Full insulation, and grey water systems? Tidal power used. So many opportunities are still being missed. 

If climate change is to be taken seriously these things should be well underway by now. Instead they chose to pick on the little people to bear the brunt all the time.

Edited by Anna B

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

Why aren't  all new builds fitted with solar panels included? Full insulation, and grey water systems? Tidal power used. So many opportunities are still being missed. 

The requirement for new houses to be carbon neutral was dropped by the conservatives.

Because it made building new houses less likely, without government funding.

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

The requirement for new houses to be carbon neutral was dropped by the conservatives.

Because it made building new houses less likely, without government funding.

Then put government funding in.

Climate change is either important or it's not....

Perhaps all the doubters will finally sit up and take notice now , From Australia to the Americas , Across Africa and Asia and now Europe the fires are spreading ,  climate change is now beyond doubt, we are now in a desperate situation unless temperatures drop within the next five or ten years .Get ready for the World population to start migrating North with our own Country being one on  the  fringe of this migration.     although the situation may include our own population looking for cooler climes in years to come .

The planet is not on fire. Stop being dramatic and stop listening to Greta.

Guest sibon
23 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

The planet is not on fire. Stop being dramatic and stop listening to Greta.

South West France is on fire. I’m off there in September, I’ll let you know how burnt it is.

33 minutes ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

Perhaps all the doubters will finally sit up and take notice now , From Australia to the Americas , Across Africa and Asia and now Europe the fires are spreading ,  climate change is now beyond doubt, we are now in a desperate situation unless temperatures drop within the next five or ten years .Get ready for the World population to start migrating North with our own Country being one on  the  fringe of this migration.     although the situation may include our own population looking for cooler climes in years to come .

Don't bank on it!

John Hayes MP, who was Minister, said yesterday that people taking precautions during heatwave are cowards and snowflakes!

Tory MP says ‘cowards’ taking heatwave precautions - ‘snowflakes’ (thelondoneconomic.com)

"This is not a brave new world but a cowardly new world where we live in a country where we are frightened of the heat. It is not surprising that in snowflake Britain, the snowflakes are melting."

With views like that you'd be surprised to hear that he was a Minister at the Department for Climate Change! :o

But you won't be surprised to hear that he's a Brexiteer :hihi:

• Like 1

Most of these fires are the result of idiots choosing not to follow basic forest management techniques.

19 minutes ago, sibon said:

South West France is on fire. I’m off there in September, I’ll let you know how burnt it is.

Please do. And when you visit the rest of the world can you let me know how that's going too?

Guest sibon
1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

Please do. And when you visit the rest of the world can you let me know how that's going too?

I have that in my diary for next year 

26 minutes ago, sibon said:

I have that in my diary for next year 

Have fun 👍