Jump to content

Climate Change thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I can only speak for myself, since moving from Sheffield to Newcastle my asthma has never been better and I live near the Tyne Bridge, one of the bridges the council want to introduce this unfair clean air toll.

Well there we have it folks, absolute scientific proof!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, probedb said:

Well there we have it folks, absolute scientific proof!

The only scientific proof I can offer is because Newcastle is near the coast the air is fresher and possibly higher levels of oxygen.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I lived on Taplin road, or Dodd Street, Ripley street or the bottom of Walkley Lane, I'd consider suing the council for the increase in traffic/air pollution forced on to these roads by the bus gate on Hillsborough corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/06/2019 at 09:12, davyboy said:

I was sent this

Is it fake news or the truth?

 

China has 19% of the world's population, but consumes ...

   

  53% of the world's cement 
  
48% of the world's iron ore 
  
47% of the world's coal 
  
... and the majority of just about every other major commodity. 
  
In 2010, China produced 11 times more steel than the United States.

  

New World Record: China made and sold 18 million vehicles in 2010. 
  
There are more pigs in China than in the next 43 pork producing nations combined 
  
China currently has the world's fastest train and the world's largest high-speed rail network. China is currently the number one producer in the world of wind and solar power but don't use it themselves. 
  
While they manufacture 80% of the world's solar panels, they install less than 5% and build a new coal fired power station every week. 
  
In one year they turn on more new coal powered electricity than Australia's total output.

  

China currently controls more than 90% of the total global supply of rare earth elements. 
  
In the past 15 years, China has moved from 14th place to 2nd place in the world in published scientific research articles. 
  
China now possesses the fastest supercomputer on the entire globe. 
  
At the end of March 2011 China accumulated US $3.04 trillion in foreign currency reserves - the largest stockpile on the entire globe. 
  
Chinese people consume 50,000 cigarettes every second. 
  
They are already the largest carbon dioxide emitter and their output will rise 70% by 2020. 
  
~*~*~*~*~*~ 
  
And we think we're saving the planet? 
  
It will not make one iota of difference what we do in Australia, Canada, the United States or anywhere else in the world; for that matter, all the politicians are doing is increasing our cost of living and making our manufacturers uncompetitive in the world market, with the carbon tax, when countries like China are growing and consuming at these extraordinary rates.  And we are paying carbon tax to save the World!   

China bought access to fishing rites in african seas via some dubious method,and factory fished their seas,not permitted in african countries,and now their fishermen are complaining of low to no catches from fishing trips.

They also claim to have invented a device to remove carbon from the atmosphere,and to mine minerals found on the moon.

While we are fracking for shale gas and polluting our own water supply

Edited by staninoodle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/06/2019 at 09:12, davyboy said:

I was sent this

Is it fake news or the truth?

 

China has 19% of the world's population, but consumes ...

   

  53% of the world's cement 
  
48% of the world's iron ore 
  
47% of the world's coal 
  
... and the majority of just about every other major commodity. 
  
In 2010, China produced 11 times more steel than the United States.

  

New World Record: China made and sold 18 million vehicles in 2010. 
  
There are more pigs in China than in the next 43 pork producing nations combined 
  
China currently has the world's fastest train and the world's largest high-speed rail network. China is currently the number one producer in the world of wind and solar power but don't use it themselves. 
  
While they manufacture 80% of the world's solar panels, they install less than 5% and build a new coal fired power station every week. 
  
In one year they turn on more new coal powered electricity than Australia's total output.

  

China currently controls more than 90% of the total global supply of rare earth elements. 
  
In the past 15 years, China has moved from 14th place to 2nd place in the world in published scientific research articles. 
  
China now possesses the fastest supercomputer on the entire globe. 
  
At the end of March 2011 China accumulated US $3.04 trillion in foreign currency reserves - the largest stockpile on the entire globe. 
  
Chinese people consume 50,000 cigarettes every second. 
  
They are already the largest carbon dioxide emitter and their output will rise 70% by 2020. 
  
~*~*~*~*~*~ 
  
And we think we're saving the planet? 
 
 It will not make one iota of difference what we do in Australia, Canada, the United States or anywhere else in the world; for that matter, all the politicians are doing is increasing our cost of living and making our manufacturers uncompetitive in the world market, with the carbon tax, when countries like China are growing and consuming at these extraordinary rates.  And we are paying carbon tax to save the World!   

I have no idea if the above is 100% true, but it does sound viable.

 

Regarding the last paragraph, remove the USA (2nd largest carbon emissions in the world, only topped by China) and it is on the money. It's comparable with an old man piddling in the sea and expecting his contribution to effect the amount of water in the sea by a considerable amount, it's just a dream.

 

Angel1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2019 at 09:58, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I have no idea if the above is 100% true, but it does sound viable.

 

Regarding the last paragraph, remove the USA (2nd largest carbon emissions in the world, only topped by China) and it is on the money. It's comparable with an old man piddling in the sea and expecting his contribution to effect the amount of water in the sea by a considerable amount, it's just a dream.

 

Angel1.

You can afford to smug and defeatist, you'll be dead soon - it's the younger people who realise what the future's looking like and they who'll rise to the challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Semi-topically, I see that,  fresh on the back of Assange’s extradition order, Ecuador has granted the US rights to set up a military base in the Galápagos Islands, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

 

😑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Halibut said:

You can afford to smug and defeatist, you'll be dead soon - it's the younger people who realise what the future's looking like and they who'll rise to the challenge.

 

 

  On 15/06/2019 at 09:58, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I have no idea if the above is 100% true, but it does sound viable.

 

Regarding the last paragraph, remove the USA (2nd largest carbon emissions in the world, only topped by China) and it is on the money. It's comparable with an old man piddling in the sea and expecting his contribution to effect the amount of water in the sea by a considerable amount, it's just a dream.

 

Angel1.

You can afford to smug and defeatist, you'll be dead soon - it's the younger people who realise what the future's looking like and they who'll rise to the challenge.

 

 

 

Good morning Mr Angry, I hope you are having a good day.

 

Regarding your post, no doubt my demise will be much sooner than the "young people" you appear to be fixated by.

 

That aside it does not detract from the TRUTH of my post in that the amount of pollution the UK makes is infinitesimal compared with the top 4 or 5 polluters. While they carry on as they are doing, we are just spending brass on doing diddly squat to reduce the world pollution - FACT.

 

Angel1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

the amount of pollution the UK makes is infinitesimal

No it's not, it's about 5 to 10%, depending how you work it out.

 

It's basic good manners to tidy up after yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ads36 said:

No it's not, it's about 5 to 10%, depending how you work it out.

 

It's basic good manners to tidy up after yourself.

2015 total emissions country rank

Country

2015 total carbon dioxide emissions from fuel combustion (million metric tons)

2015 per capita carbon dioxide emissions from fuel combustion (metric tons)

1

China

9040.74

6.59

2

United States

4997.50

15.53

3

India

2066.01

1.58

4

Russia

1468.99

10.19

5

Japan

1141.58

8.99

6

Germany

729.77

8.93

7

South Korea

585.99

11.58

8

Iran

552.40

6.98

9

Canada

549.23

15.32

10

Saudi Arabia

531.46

16.85

11

Brazil

450.79

2.17

12

Mexico

442.31

3.66

13

Indonesia

441.91

1.72

14

South Africa

427.57

7.77

15

United Kingdom

389.75

5.99

16

Australia

380.93

15.83

17

Italy

330.75

5.45

18

Turkey

317.22

4.10

19

France

290.49

4.37

20

Poland

282.40

7.34

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 18:21, ANGELFIRE1 said:

2015 total emissions country rank

Country

2015 total carbon dioxide emissions from fuel combustion (million metric tons)

2015 per capita carbon dioxide emissions from fuel combustion (metric tons)

1

China

9040.74

6.59

2

United States

4997.50

15.53

3

India

2066.01

1.58

4

Russia

1468.99

10.19

5

Japan

1141.58

8.99

6

Germany

729.77

8.93

7

South Korea

585.99

11.58

8

Iran

552.40

6.98

9

Canada

549.23

15.32

10

Saudi Arabia

531.46

16.85

11

Brazil

450.79

2.17

12

Mexico

442.31

3.66

13

Indonesia

441.91

1.72

14

South Africa

427.57

7.77

15

United Kingdom

389.75

5.99

16

Australia

380.93

15.83

17

Italy

330.75

5.45

18

Turkey

317.22

4.10

19

France

290.49

4.37

20

Poland

282.40

7.34

The UK really doe get an unfair bad wrap from some but as that chart shows, we're not that bad. What the climate zealots will say though is that the UK has the headquarters of many of the top polluting companies, but if they weren't h3adquartd here they'd only be headquarted somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.