Jump to content

Climate Change thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

One question, @L00b - who's going to pay for all this 'free' transportation?

Both the state, and the private sector using both rail fret and advertising platforms/services in carriages (and buses and...). We're getting exactly this next year here in Luxembourg.

 

There's no reason why this can't be scaled up in larger developed countries like the UK (perhaps locally at first, in most congested/most polluting conurbations, but with a national phase-in at term). That is, provided of course that the political will exists, and that a serious amount of planning and joined-up thinking takes place. I don't think your political system is mature enough for this yet, unfortunately.

 

Still, that's the solution SFAIC. Your mileage to get there will vary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, L00b said:

Both the state, and the private sector using both rail fret and advertising platforms/services in carriages (and buses and...). We're getting exactly this next year here in Luxembourg.

 

There's no reason why this can't be scaled up in larger developed countries like the UK (perhaps locally at first, in most congested/most polluting conurbations, but with a national phase-in at term). That is, provided of course that the political will exists, and that a serious amount of planning and joined-up thinking takes place. I don't think your political system is mature enough for this yet, unfortunately.

 

Still, that's the solution SFAIC. Your mileage to get there will vary.

Will be interesting to see how it works, if it does, but  I have my doubts about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How will the Government (which ever party is in power) make up money they will lose in taxes when electric vehicles are the main vehicles on the roads?  Electric vehicles are exempt from road duty, electricity is privatised so the electric companies, not the Government will be making  money from people charging their vehicles at home.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, iansheff said:

How will the Government (which ever party is in power) make up money they will lose in taxes when electric vehicles are the main vehicles on the roads?  Electric vehicles are exempt from road duty, electricity is privatised so the electric companies, not the Government will be making  money from people charging their vehicles at home.  

I'm sure they'll find a way, don't worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Pettytom said:

How would you like  34.5 micrograms of cadmium per day? Just to name one cumulative poison.

 

Would you expect it to enhance your life? 

What are you talking about?

 

Where have I said anything 'promoting' pollution?

 

(I made the figures up, so if I got one right, then must have stuck :hihi:)

 

The experiment proved that they could reduce pollution to the delight of the previously terrrorised kids, then saying the would just go back to normal (and blame the government) meant the whole thing was useless - that was my point.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by *_ash_*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iansheff said:

How will the Government (which ever party is in power) make up money they will lose in taxes when electric vehicles are the main vehicles on the roads?  Electric vehicles are exempt from road duty, electricity is privatised so the electric companies, not the Government will be making  money from people charging their vehicles at home.  

Start with taxis buses/coaches and vans.

 

Then once the 42million quid cameras are up, the qualifications and exemptions will slowly alter meaning the general public pay it.

 

Maybe one day we'll all be in electric vehicles, but by then they'll just be charged in this process of altering. Especially when the next climate change generation realise what goes into building them.

 

 

Edited by *_ash_*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, L00b said:

People are being financially engineered out of car ownership, just like they're being financially engineered out of home ownership.

 

In about 2 to 3 decades at the most, private car ownership will be back to being a luxury enjoyed by the few, and transportation by (less polluting-) car will be an always-on-anywhere commodity service (think "mass uberisation", with and without drivers).

Yes, well put.  We're rapidly gravitating towards a pure capitalist system where a small minority of people own everything, and everybody else is forced to rent it off them.

 

Office 365 is another example that springs to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dontquoteme said:

I find that quite odd; I could see how having the windows open could be an issue but if the windows are closed I fail to see how significant pollution could get in. What about sitting on a bus? what about sitting in your house that is situated on a busy road? That piece just focus's on cars!

 

I take scientific studies with an agenda with a pinch of salt. 

You find it odd that you don't asphyxiate every time you're in a car? 

The agenda in the studies mentioned in the article was the effect that pollution has on respiratory health. Presumably you also take the evidence that smoking kills people with a pinch of salt too. 

I'd like to see you have a chat with asthma expert Professor Stephen Holgate and tell him you don't believe his science because you don't trust his agenda because it's trying to prevent asthma.

Edited by Halibut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was sent this

Is it fake news or the truth?

 

China has 19% of the world's population, but consumes ...

   

  53% of the world's cement 
  
48% of the world's iron ore 
  
47% of the world's coal 
  
... and the majority of just about every other major commodity. 
  
In 2010, China produced 11 times more steel than the United States.

  

New World Record: China made and sold 18 million vehicles in 2010. 
  
There are more pigs in China than in the next 43 pork producing nations combined 
  
China currently has the world's fastest train and the world's largest high-speed rail network. China is currently the number one producer in the world of wind and solar power but don't use it themselves. 
  
While they manufacture 80% of the world's solar panels, they install less than 5% and build a new coal fired power station every week. 
  
In one year they turn on more new coal powered electricity than Australia's total output.

  

China currently controls more than 90% of the total global supply of rare earth elements. 
  
In the past 15 years, China has moved from 14th place to 2nd place in the world in published scientific research articles. 
  
China now possesses the fastest supercomputer on the entire globe. 
  
At the end of March 2011 China accumulated US $3.04 trillion in foreign currency reserves - the largest stockpile on the entire globe. 
  
Chinese people consume 50,000 cigarettes every second. 
  
They are already the largest carbon dioxide emitter and their output will rise 70% by 2020. 
  
~*~*~*~*~*~ 
  
And we think we're saving the planet? 
  
It will not make one iota of difference what we do in Australia, Canada, the United States or anywhere else in the world; for that matter, all the politicians are doing is increasing our cost of living and making our manufacturers uncompetitive in the world market, with the carbon tax, when countries like China are growing and consuming at these extraordinary rates.  And we are paying carbon tax to save the World!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Halibut said:

You find it odd that you don't asphyxiate every time you're in a car? 

The agenda in the studies mentioned in the article was the effect that pollution has on respiratory health. Presumably you also take the evidence that smoking kills people with a pinch of salt too. 

I'd like to see you have a chat with asthma expert Professor Stephen Holgate and tell him you don't believe his science because you don't trust his agenda because it's trying to prevent asthma.

I can only speak for myself, since moving from Sheffield to Newcastle my asthma has never been better and I live near the Tyne Bridge, one of the bridges the council want to introduce this unfair clean air toll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.