Climate Change thread

24 minutes ago, Dontquoteme said:

(...)

You're not going to get people out of their cars, the solution is developing non-polluting cars.

(...)

People are being financially engineered out of car ownership, just like they're being financially engineered out of home ownership.

In about 2 to 3 decades at the most, private car ownership will be back to being a luxury enjoyed by the few, and transportation by (less polluting-) car will be an always-on-anywhere commodity service (think "mass uberisation", with and without drivers).

The solution is free, punctual, safe and high-frequency public transport, hand-in-hand with cheap, always-on, short-notice-available self-driving private hire. I daresay that would take care of the very vast majority of people's daily transportation needs, regular and not.

Edited by L00b

One question, @L00b - who's going to pay for all this 'free' transportation?

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

I find that quite odd; I could see how having the windows open could be an issue but if the windows are closed I fail to see how significant pollution could get in. What about sitting on a bus? what about sitting in your house that is situated on a busy road? That piece just focus's on cars!

I take scientific studies with an agenda with a pinch of salt. 

Edited by Dontquoteme

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

One question, @L00b - who's going to pay for all this 'free' transportation?

Both the state, and the private sector using both rail fret and advertising platforms/services in carriages (and buses and...). We're getting exactly this next year here in Luxembourg.

There's no reason why this can't be scaled up in larger developed countries like the UK (perhaps locally at first, in most congested/most polluting conurbations, but with a national phase-in at term). That is, provided of course that the political will exists, and that a serious amount of planning and joined-up thinking takes place. I don't think your political system is mature enough for this yet, unfortunately.

Still, that's the solution SFAIC. Your mileage to get there will vary.

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

Both the state, and the private sector using both rail fret and advertising platforms/services in carriages (and buses and...). We're getting exactly this next year here in Luxembourg.

There's no reason why this can't be scaled up in larger developed countries like the UK (perhaps locally at first, in most congested/most polluting conurbations, but with a national phase-in at term). That is, provided of course that the political will exists, and that a serious amount of planning and joined-up thinking takes place. I don't think your political system is mature enough for this yet, unfortunately.

Still, that's the solution SFAIC. Your mileage to get there will vary.

Will be interesting to see how it works, if it does, but  I have my doubts about it.

How will the Government (which ever party is in power) make up money they will lose in taxes when electric vehicles are the main vehicles on the roads?  Electric vehicles are exempt from road duty, electricity is privatised so the electric companies, not the Government will be making  money from people charging their vehicles at home.  

35 minutes ago, iansheff said:

How will the Government (which ever party is in power) make up money they will lose in taxes when electric vehicles are the main vehicles on the roads?  Electric vehicles are exempt from road duty, electricity is privatised so the electric companies, not the Government will be making  money from people charging their vehicles at home.  

I'm sure they'll find a way, don't worry.

20 hours ago, Pettytom said:

How would you like  34.5 micrograms of cadmium per day? Just to name one cumulative poison.

Would you expect it to enhance your life? 

What are you talking about?

Where have I said anything 'promoting' pollution?

(I made the figures up, so if I got one right, then must have stuck :hihi:)

The experiment proved that they could reduce pollution to the delight of the previously terrrorised kids, then saying the would just go back to normal (and blame the government) meant the whole thing was useless - that was my point.

Edited by *_ash_*

2 hours ago, iansheff said:

Start with taxis buses/coaches and vans.

Then once the 42million quid cameras are up, the qualifications and exemptions will slowly alter meaning the general public pay it.

Maybe one day we'll all be in electric vehicles, but by then they'll just be charged in this process of altering. Especially when the next climate change generation realise what goes into building them.

Edited by *_ash_*

21 hours ago, Dontquoteme said:

I find that quite odd; I could see how having the windows open could be an issue but if the windows are closed I fail to see how significant pollution could get in. What about sitting on a bus? what about sitting in your house that is situated on a busy road? That piece just focus's on cars!

I take scientific studies with an agenda with a pinch of salt. 

You find it odd that you don't asphyxiate every time you're in a car? 

The agenda in the studies mentioned in the article was the effect that pollution has on respiratory health. Presumably you also take the evidence that smoking kills people with a pinch of salt too. 

I'd like to see you have a chat with asthma expert Professor Stephen Holgate and tell him you don't believe his science because you don't trust his agenda because it's trying to prevent asthma.

Edited by Halibut