Jump to content

Climate Change thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

What happens though is that countries respond by putting "small tariffs" on your exports to balance the tariff on their goods.  And often country A doesn't feel like this is fair, and so they change the tariffs around, and so it goes.  And you get Trump and China and every business suffers, people suffer, pensions suffer, nobody benefits.

 

WTO have tariffs.

 

The EU has tariffs on some goods entering the EU, the average EU tariff on agriculture was roughly 11% in 2016, compared to about 4% for other products.

 

All this free trade, is just nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cristalker said:

What is your bet based on. The probability of occurrence is very high.

 

This is a statement from Yorkshire Water - “Thanks to our customers using less water, restrictions are less likely, but we never allow ourselves to be complacent and we are increasing resources out on the street fixing leaks to ensure that we are doing our bit.”

 

Because the UK climate is changing and the population is growing, there is already a 'water shortage' at times.

 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/990222/uk-hosepipe-ban-2018-yorkshire-water-is-there-a-hosepipe-ban-uk-north-west-england

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

What happens though is that countries respond by putting "small tariffs" on your exports to balance the tariff on their goods.  And often country A doesn't feel like this is fair, and so they change the tariffs around, and so it goes.  And you get Trump and China and every business suffers, people suffer, pensions suffer, nobody benefits.

Would you support tariffs on goods that are made using environmentally disastrous methods, or with sweat shop labour?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El Cid said:

 

WTO have tariffs.

 

The EU has tariffs on some goods entering the EU, the average EU tariff on agriculture was roughly 11% in 2016, compared to about 4% for other products.

 

All this free trade, is just nonsense.

Yes, but literally no country wants to trade under WTO rules, that's why they make so many treaties to make trade easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Would you support tariffs on goods that are made using environmentally disastrous methods, or with sweat shop labour?

No, I'd find a better way to deal with it, for example make it impossible for UK trading companies to legally use sweatshop labour without adhering to legally defined standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

No, I'd find a better way to deal with it, for example make it impossible for UK trading companies to legally use sweatshop labour without adhering to legally defined standards.

so do you mean ban imports that didn't adhere to our Health and safety and Environmental standards at source of manufacture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very different mechanism to require companies to adhere to certain standards to import goods, compared to applying tariffs to all imports from a particular country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's a very different mechanism to require companies to adhere to certain standards to import goods, compared to applying tariffs to all imports from a particular country.

I didn't propose that. I proposed applying hefty tariffs to goods that where manufactured using methods that didn't comply with our environmental standards.

Lets say Cyclone Enterprises makes mountain bikes. They comply with all EU directives on Environmental and Labour issues. These of course add a certain amount of cost to their product.

Their competitor, Shanghai Bike Co. Ltd uses electricity produced from high sulphur coal, they tip all the paint waste in the local river, and pay the 14 year old staff whatever they can. Their product is surprisingly cheaper.

Some time later Cyclone Enterprises goes bust, due to sales lost from playing on an uneven field.

Is that a sensible and equitable position?

Or would it be fairer and more environmentally beneficial to apply a sensible relevant tariff to goods made using non-compliant methods?

 

Edited by Voice of reason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I read it, Cyclone's proposal would be to ban imports of Shanghai Bike Co. products altogether under those circumstances, not just place a tariff on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

As I read it, Cyclone's proposal would be to ban imports of Shanghai Bike Co. products altogether under those circumstances, not just place a tariff on them.

I see, it could read that way. He'll let us know I suppose.

Then would steel made using coal that just belches pollution be banned. Aluminium made using electricity from polluting sources be banned? That would stop a huge swathe of Chinese goods coming here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cristalker said:

What is your bet based on. The probability of occurrence is very high.

It's based on it being scaremongering bollards. Why would the UK start having water supply issues within a decade due to climate change? Not going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.