Climate Change thread

1 hour ago, FinBak said:

Compared to 'Mankind'...Our planet is doing great.
The earth has been here 4.5 BILLION years...We've been here what?..200 thousand years give or take?
Think about that...200 thousand years versus 4.5 Billion years.
You have the conceit to some how think that were a threat?
The Earth has been through a lot worse than 'Us'.
What we do ain't  going to bother the Earth.

The actual physical sphere of the earth - no we probably aren’t doing much. But in turn we are making lush areas drying by chopping forests down, sea levels are raising and climate is changing. Couple that lot with unbridled human expansion and we are wiping entire species off the map at incredible rate. 

When the human race has wiped itself off the map you can be damn sure we would have taken nearly every other species with it. Apart from wood pigeons which are indestructible.

55 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

The actual physical sphere of the earth - no we probably aren’t doing much. But in turn we are making lush areas drying by chopping forests down, sea levels are raising and climate is changing. Couple that lot with unbridled human expansion and we are wiping entire species off the map at incredible rate. 

When the human race has wiped itself off the map you can be damn sure we would have taken nearly every other species with it. Apart from wood pigeons which are indestructible.

Wood Pigeon's ?....which are Indestructible..!  I like that...;)

At the end of the day US Humans will most likely wipe Each other out through war on Earth... Not by malnutrition.

The Earth...and the Universe as a whole, goes through changes.

Nothing of which we have ANY control over.

2 hours ago, FinBak said:

Wood Pigeon's ?....which are Indestructible..!  I like that...;)

At the end of the day US Humans will most likely wipe Each other out through war on Earth... Not by malnutrition.

The Earth...and the Universe as a whole, goes through changes.

Nothing of which we have ANY control over.

We have a huge amount of control on how we effect the planet. We aren’t doing much positive, we are doing loads of things that are negative.

2 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Marvelous global warming nice hot summers what more can a man ask

Drought, extreme weather conditions and the extinction of countless species.

Sounds a right laugh.

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

We have a huge amount of control on how we effect the planet. We aren’t doing much positive, we are doing loads of things that are negative.

We are doing a lot of things wrong, but we have electric cars being charged and our electricity generation is still lower than a few years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/03/uk-power-stations-electricity-output-lowest-1994-renewables-record

23 hours ago, El Cid said:

So you believe the figures now then, do you believe the figures when they say its caused by mankind?

Erm, when did I say I didn't believe man made climate change was occurring? You seem a tad confused. I was arguing that just because there is man made climate change, doesn't mean that naturally occurring climate change has suddenly stopped. We have both and we don't know the degrees of which each is contributing. You were disputing that naturally occurring climate change existed. That's what I was pulling you up on. Go back and read it.

On 01/03/2019 at 16:52, CaptainSwing said:

Well, yes, most versions of the famous Hockey Stick show a gradual decline in the direction of an Ice Age, before the sudden dramatic uptick at the end of the record.  And it's still a defendable hypothesis (not yet a consensus) that the Little Ice Age might possibly have turned into a full-blown glaciation if it hadn't been for anthropogenic forcings - the idea that these go back much further than previously thought (due to deforestation and rice paddies) is certainly gaining traction.

However, it doesn't follow from this that present levels of climate change are a good thing.  You'll have heard of the phrase "out of the frying pan, into the fire".

By the way, I've just twigged that the Hockey Stick is in fact an ice hockey stick!  I'd always assumed it was a (field) hockey stick, and wondered why it didn't look much like one ...

I thought that the little ice age had now been linked to human activity as well, a huge drop in farming in the new world as the native americans were exterminated by settlers.

15 hours ago, FinBak said:

Compared to 'Mankind'...Our planet is doing great.
The earth has been here 4.5 BILLION years...We've been here what?..200 thousand years give or take?
Think about that...200 thousand years versus 4.5 Billion years.
You have the conceit to some how think that were a threat?
The Earth has been through a lot worse than 'Us'.
What we do ain't  going to bother the Earth.

We triggered one of the fastest and largest extinction events ever recorded.

And LIFE on the planet has only been around 2 billion years in any form.

So yeah, whilst the ball of rock will no doubt carry on no matter what we do, that's not really a great measure is it.

What we'd like to do is not cause climate havoc to the extent that it ends up killing billions of people and trillions of other life forms.

3 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Erm, when did I say I didn't believe man made climate change was occurring? You seem a tad confused. I was arguing that just because there is man made climate change, doesn't mean that naturally occurring climate change has suddenly stopped. We have both and we don't know the degrees of which each is contributing. You were disputing that naturally occurring climate change existed. That's what I was pulling you up on. Go back and read it.

We have a pretty good idea. Look how fast average temperatures have changed in the last 50 years and compare it to the fastest changes when human activity wasn't significant (10000 BCE to 9500 BCE). Unless you have a good explanation as to why natural temperature change is suddenly 10 times faster than the fastest it's been in the previous 20000 years it's not reasonable to claim it isn't down to human activities.

1 hour ago, altus said:

We have a pretty good idea. Look how fast average temperatures have changed in the last 50 years and compare it to the fastest changes when human activity wasn't significant (10000 BCE to 9500 BCE). Unless you have a good explanation as to why natural temperature change is suddenly 10 times faster than the fastest it's been in the previous 20000 years it's not reasonable to claim it isn't down to human activities.

And I'm not claiming that. I'm claiming it isn't down to human activities alone.

13 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

And I'm not claiming that. I'm claiming it isn't down to human activities alone.

So what proportion of it do you reckon is down to human activities then? Even if natural changes match the fastest it has been in the last 20000 years then they may account for 10% at most.

10 minutes ago, altus said:

So what proportion of it do you reckon is down to human activities then? Even if natural changes match the fastest it has been in the last 20000 years then they may account for 10% at most.

I'd put that figure at 0.0001%.  Yep, as low as that... if at all.!

If all humans suddenly died, there would still be climate change.