Climate Change thread

I am not a climate change doubter,but sometimes wonder how truthful or accurate some of the information is.

At the moment every news report concerns the floods and the probability that such rainy weather will be a feature in the future.

However If we went back 15 years or so,the news items were concerned with the exceptionally dry winters which resulted in the natural aquifers drying out.

What fundamentals have changed in such a comparatively short time,and is it credible to make future forecasts on what may be short term trends.

As has been said many time the U.K. has weather rather than a climate.

11 minutes ago, RJRB said:

The climate of the UK has changed over recent decades. The warm Spring weather is coming earlier and winters are not so cold.

Climate change predicts more severe weather and more precipitation, we have had more precipitation, but the flooding may have other causes too. Like the lack of soak aways, lack of trees and vegitation that help soak up the access water. Building near rivers and on what used to be flood plains. Remember Fishlake a couple of months ago? They called it Fishlake for a reason.

Even if we were to stop all emissions today, we would not prevent some changes. However, the sooner we cut emissions, the smaller the changes will be.

Cutting emissions will not stop the flooding, so the Government need to do something, not just waffle.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

The climate of the UK has changed over recent decades. The warm Spring weather is coming earlier and winters are not so cold.

Climate change predicts more severe weather and more precipitation, we have had more precipitation, but the flooding may have other causes too. Like the lack of soak aways, lack of trees and vegitation that help soak up the access water. Building near rivers and on what used to be flood plains. Remember Fishlake a couple of months ago? They called it Fishlake for a reason.

Even if we were to stop all emissions today, we would not prevent some changes. However, the sooner we cut emissions, the smaller the changes will be.

Cutting emissions will not stop the flooding, so the Government need to do something, not just waffle.

I think that's pretty optimistic.

Where we live in France the Dordogne river upstream flows through many miles (best part of 100) of wooded hills and farmland. Doesn't stop it flooding if you get really heavy rain - especially two events close to each other like Sheffield in 2007. 

Once the ground is sodden the ability of trees to get rid of more water is limited - and pretty non existent in winter when deciduous trees have shed their leaves and are dormant - like this December here when the river was a good 15/20 feet higher than usual.

Glad we're up a hill!

I’m sure the Earth has endured hotter temperatures than we will ever experience when Dinosaurs walked the planet. Scientists say Antarctica was once a tropical forest.

Our Planet has already seen global warming before. I don’t believe it’s all down to mankind who is causing climate change.  I think the temperature is changing all of the time on our planet but mankind is speeding it up.

13 hours ago, Longcol said:

I think that's pretty optimistic.

Once the ground is sodden the ability of trees to get rid of more water is limited - and pretty non existent in winter when deciduous trees have shed their leaves and are dormant - like this December here when the river was a good 15/20 feet higher than usual.

I think if there are trees instead of houses and roads, it helps.

7 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I’m sure the Earth has endured hotter temperatures than we will ever experience when Dinosaurs walked the planet. Scientists say Antarctica was once a tropical forest.

Our Planet has already seen global warming before. I don’t believe it’s all down to mankind who is causing climate change.  I think the temperature is changing all of the time on our planet but mankind is speeding it up.

Does your belief influence how you think we should be responding to the current changing climate at the moment? 

17 hours ago, RJRB said:

I am not a climate change doubter,but sometimes wonder how truthful or accurate some of the information is.

At the moment every news report concerns the floods and the probability that such rainy weather will be a feature in the future.

However If we went back 15 years or so,the news items were concerned with the exceptionally dry winters which resulted in the natural aquifers drying out.

What fundamentals have changed in such a comparatively short time,and is it credible to make future forecasts on what may be short term trends.

As it was in the past it's nothing new.

On 19/02/2020 at 14:59, El Cid said:

I think if there are trees instead of houses and roads, it helps.

Not nearly as much as claimed by some people IMHO - like I said - the river near us floods nearly every year despite flowing through a good hundred miles of mainly woodland upstream.

On 19/02/2020 at 07:53, hauxwell said:

Agreed, but we're also overdue for the next ice age. This seems to have been forgotten and isn't mentioned in any climate debates these days.

Also the river Nile used to flood every year prior to the building of the Aswan dam. It was considered of great benefit as it fertilised the land and resulted in better harvests. 

34 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Agreed, but we're also overdue for the next ice age. This seems to have been forgotten and isn't mentioned in any climate debates these days.

Also the river Nile used to flood every year prior to the building of the Aswan dam. It was considered of great benefit as it fertilised the land and resulted in better harvests. 

Wonder if there will be a refund on the carbon tax with less being produced, less air breathed should mean lower tax.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Millions of years:

We are in the Ice Age because there are ice caps and have been for thirty million years.

The Earth is gradually cooling. The major influence is the current position of the South pole on a continent  Antarctica and the massive deep ocean current surrounding it. This prevents the transfer of excess heat from the equator to the South Pole.

Tens of thousands of years

We are in a warmer period of the Ice Age and the ice coverage is minimal- called an inter glacial.

Glacial maximums and minimums are influenced by 5+  cycles of Solar activity and the Earths many wobbles  some of which were not known or understood and hence the prediction now is for the next Glaciation  to be in a few tens of thousands of years.

Hundreds of year.

Natural volcanic, asteroid, fire, biological and sunspot activities and now human activity cause short term changes. Ecologies  will respond quickly to these changes. 

Good news

Climate changes puts more stress on non native species so may help to get rid of grey squirrels, horse chestnut and sycamore trees and the damage they cause.

The Dinosaurs never saw glaciers and existed for hundreds of millions of years.

Every mass extinction leads to an explosion in the number of species on the planet.

I do find it funny how gretta thunberg, however it's spelt, never seemes to protest china, or if she does its just in a token way. I can't help but wonder whether she, or rather the machine that uses her as a figure head, plus the whole green movement in general, are working in the interests of, or are useful idiot ally's of BRIC's.

Edited by Ruddy76