Climate Change thread

I was sent this

Is it fake news or the truth?

China has 19% of the world's population, but consumes ...

53% of the world's cement 

48% of the world's iron ore 

47% of the world's coal 

... and the majority of just about every other major commodity. 

In 2010, China produced 11 times more steel than the United States.

New World Record: China made and sold 18 million vehicles in 2010. 

There are more pigs in China than in the next 43 pork producing nations combined 

China currently has the world's fastest train and the world's largest high-speed rail network. China is currently the number one producer in the world of wind and solar power but don't use it themselves. 

While they manufacture 80% of the world's solar panels, they install less than 5% and build a new coal fired power station every week. 

In one year they turn on more new coal powered electricity than Australia's total output.

China currently controls more than 90% of the total global supply of rare earth elements. 

In the past 15 years, China has moved from 14th place to 2nd place in the world in published scientific research articles. 

China now possesses the fastest supercomputer on the entire globe. 

At the end of March 2011 China accumulated US $3.04 trillion in foreign currency reserves - the largest stockpile on the entire globe. 

Chinese people consume 50,000 cigarettes every second. 

They are already the largest carbon dioxide emitter and their output will rise 70% by 2020. 

~*~*~*~*~*~ 

And we think we're saving the planet? 

It will not make one iota of difference what we do in Australia, Canada, the United States or anywhere else in the world; for that matter, all the politicians are doing is increasing our cost of living and making our manufacturers uncompetitive in the world market, with the carbon tax, when countries like China are growing and consuming at these extraordinary rates.  And we are paying carbon tax to save the World!   

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

You find it odd that you don't asphyxiate every time you're in a car? 

The agenda in the studies mentioned in the article was the effect that pollution has on respiratory health. Presumably you also take the evidence that smoking kills people with a pinch of salt too. 

I'd like to see you have a chat with asthma expert Professor Stephen Holgate and tell him you don't believe his science because you don't trust his agenda because it's trying to prevent asthma.

I can only speak for myself, since moving from Sheffield to Newcastle my asthma has never been better and I live near the Tyne Bridge, one of the bridges the council want to introduce this unfair clean air toll.

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I can only speak for myself, since moving from Sheffield to Newcastle my asthma has never been better and I live near the Tyne Bridge, one of the bridges the council want to introduce this unfair clean air toll.

Well there we have it folks, absolute scientific proof!

41 minutes ago, probedb said:

Well there we have it folks, absolute scientific proof!

The only scientific proof I can offer is because Newcastle is near the coast the air is fresher and possibly higher levels of oxygen.  

If I lived on Taplin road, or Dodd Street, Ripley street or the bottom of Walkley Lane, I'd consider suing the council for the increase in traffic/air pollution forced on to these roads by the bus gate on Hillsborough corner.

On 13/06/2019 at 09:12, davyboy said:

I was sent this

47% of the world's coal 

There are more pigs in China than in the next 43 pork producing nations combined 

China currently has the world's fastest train and the world's largest high-speed rail network. China is currently the number one producer in the world of wind and solar power but don't use it themselves. 

While they manufacture 80% of the world's solar panels, they install less than 5% and build a new coal fired power station every week. 

In one year they turn on more new coal powered electricity than Australia's total output.

China currently controls more than 90% of the total global supply of rare earth elements. 

In the past 15 years, China has moved from 14th place to 2nd place in the world in published scientific research articles. 

At the end of March 2011 China accumulated US $3.04 trillion in foreign currency reserves - the largest stockpile on the entire globe. 

They are already the largest carbon dioxide emitter and their output will rise 70% by 2020. 

~*~*~*~*~*~ 

It will not make one iota of difference what we do in Australia, Canada, the United States or anywhere else in the world; for that matter, all the politicians are doing is increasing our cost of living and making our manufacturers uncompetitive in the world market, with the carbon tax, when countries like China are growing and consuming at these extraordinary rates.  And we are paying carbon tax to save the World!   

China bought access to fishing rites in african seas via some dubious method,and factory fished their seas,not permitted in african countries,and now their fishermen are complaining of low to no catches from fishing trips.

They also claim to have invented a device to remove carbon from the atmosphere,and to mine minerals found on the moon.

While we are fracking for shale gas and polluting our own water supply

Edited by staninoodle

On 13/06/2019 at 09:12, davyboy said:

I was sent this

47% of the world's coal 

~*~*~*~*~*~ 

I have no idea if the above is 100% true, but it does sound viable.

Regarding the last paragraph, remove the USA (2nd largest carbon emissions in the world, only topped by China) and it is on the money. It's comparable with an old man piddling in the sea and expecting his contribution to effect the amount of water in the sea by a considerable amount, it's just a dream.

Angel1.

On 15/06/2019 at 09:58, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Regarding the last paragraph, remove the USA (2nd largest carbon emissions in the world, only topped by China) and it is on the money. It's comparable with an old man piddling in the sea and expecting his contribution to effect the amount of water in the sea by a considerable amount, it's just a dream.

Angel1.

You can afford to smug and defeatist, you'll be dead soon - it's the younger people who realise what the future's looking like and they who'll rise to the challenge.

Semi-topically, I see that,  fresh on the back of Assange’s extradition order, Ecuador has granted the US rights to set up a military base in the Galápagos Islands, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

😑

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

You can afford to smug and defeatist, you'll be dead soon - it's the younger people who realise what the future's looking like and they who'll rise to the challenge.

On 15/06/2019 at 09:58, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Good morning Mr Angry, I hope you are having a good day.

Regarding your post, no doubt my demise will be much sooner than the "young people" you appear to be fixated by.

That aside it does not detract from the TRUTH of my post in that the amount of pollution the UK makes is infinitesimal compared with the top 4 or 5 polluters. While they carry on as they are doing, we are just spending brass on doing diddly squat to reduce the world pollution - FACT.

Angel1. 

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

the amount of pollution the UK makes is infinitesimal

No it's not, it's about 5 to 10%, depending how you work it out.

It's basic good manners to tidy up after yourself.

4 hours ago, ads36 said:

No it's not, it's about 5 to 10%, depending how you work it out.

It's basic good manners to tidy up after yourself.

2015 total emissions country rank

Country

2015 total carbon dioxide emissions from fuel combustion (million metric tons)

2015 per capita carbon dioxide emissions from fuel combustion (metric tons)

China

United States

India

Russia

Japan

Germany

South Korea

Iran

Canada

Saudi Arabia

Brazil

Mexico