Climate Change thread

It's a very different mechanism to require companies to adhere to certain standards to import goods, compared to applying tariffs to all imports from a particular country.

17 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's a very different mechanism to require companies to adhere to certain standards to import goods, compared to applying tariffs to all imports from a particular country.

I didn't propose that. I proposed applying hefty tariffs to goods that where manufactured using methods that didn't comply with our environmental standards.

Lets say Cyclone Enterprises makes mountain bikes. They comply with all EU directives on Environmental and Labour issues. These of course add a certain amount of cost to their product.

Their competitor, Shanghai Bike Co. Ltd uses electricity produced from high sulphur coal, they tip all the paint waste in the local river, and pay the 14 year old staff whatever they can. Their product is surprisingly cheaper.

Some time later Cyclone Enterprises goes bust, due to sales lost from playing on an uneven field.

Is that a sensible and equitable position?

Or would it be fairer and more environmentally beneficial to apply a sensible relevant tariff to goods made using non-compliant methods?

Edited by Voice of reason

53 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

As I read it, Cyclone's proposal would be to ban imports of Shanghai Bike Co. products altogether under those circumstances, not just place a tariff on them.

I see, it could read that way. He'll let us know I suppose.

Then would steel made using coal that just belches pollution be banned. Aluminium made using electricity from polluting sources be banned? That would stop a huge swathe of Chinese goods coming here.

14 hours ago, cristalker said:

What is your bet based on. The probability of occurrence is very high.

It's based on it being scaremongering bollards. Why would the UK start having water supply issues within a decade due to climate change? Not going to happen.

14 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

That is a very good question, with no clear or simple answer either way.  From my western, green-leaning perspective then yes, ban products that are produced with excessive damage to the environment/climate.  From the perspective of a country like China, with a per capita GDP less than half ours (on a PPP basis - less than 1/4 on a nominal basis), it might look different.  The global perspective, in which might is right and China is a very big player in aggregate, could be different again.  The neoliberal ideology, which brooks no interference with the divine functioning of the Market (peace be upon it), provides yet another angle.

As the consumer (national consumer) we have the right to buy or allow the purchase of what wish. In my opinion if we restrict 'our' manufacturers, then those outside our jurisdiction should be able to sell only if they comply with our regulations. Not just of the end product, but of the process.

See that Britain set a power record from 17 May to 31 May by not using any coal to generate electricity according to the National Grid Electricity Systems Operator (ESO).  Apparently ESO says this sort of thing will become the new norm.  Wonder how much other countries contributed to coal fired pollution over the past 2 weeks or are we just catching up with the 'greener' countries?  Wonder how much China, the US & India have chucked up into the atmosphere in the last fortnight? 

On a separate but related issue, I see that there is a threat to disrupt Heathrow Airport on June 18 with a further 10 days of disruption for up to 10 days in July by Extinction Rebellion, with the possibility of drones being used?   

It's a protest against a 3rd runway at Heathrow. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

See that Britain set a power record from 17 May to 31 May by not using any coal to generate electricity according to the National Grid Electricity Systems Operator (ESO).  Apparently ESO says this sort of thing will become the new norm.  Wonder how much other countries contributed to coal fired pollution over the past 2 weeks or are we just catching up with the 'greener' countries?  Wonder how much China, the US & India have chucked up into the atmosphere in the last fortnight? 

On a separate but related issue, I see that there is a threat to disrupt Heathrow Airport on June 18 with a further 10 days of disruption for up to 10 days in July by Extinction Rebellion, with the possibility of drones being used?   

Great news on the uk power generation methods.

Sadly we know what the others will have been doing.

The extinction rebellion  tactics are going to alienate people against the cause. Very bad idea imo.

Edited by Voice of reason

8 hours ago, Baron99 said:

If we covered the Sahara with solar panels,we could provide enough clean energy to power the entire planet,every single day.......makes you wonder whats holding the decision makers back,profits possibly and whose gonna get them....

On 31/05/2019 at 19:23, CaptainSwing said:

As I read it, Cyclone's proposal would be to ban imports of Shanghai Bike Co. products altogether under those circumstances, not just place a tariff on them.

Exactly what I meant.  Although blaming a company for the source of it's electricity would probably be going too far, it's not like they can get electricity from somewhere else, so it's outside their control.

Sweatshop labour conditions, generally environmentally harmful behaviour, these things can be controlled.  We already see it a bit, apple products are built in China and the news occasionally covers a story about the conditions of the workers and apple promises to "do better".  If the imports were banned it would "do better" a whole lot quicker I expect.

On 31/05/2019 at 23:17, Voice of reason said:

As the consumer (national consumer) we have the right to buy or allow the purchase of what wish. In my opinion if we restrict 'our' manufacturers, then those outside our jurisdiction should be able to sell only if they comply with our regulations. Not just of the end product, but of the process.

That's only possible to some level though.  We can't for example force foreign companies to pay a UK minimum wage, nor would it necessarily even make sense, with the cost of living being very different depending on where you are.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Exactly what I meant.  Although blaming a company for the source of it's electricity would probably be going too far, it's not like they can get electricity from somewhere else, so it's outside their control.

Sweatshop labour conditions, generally environmentally harmful behaviour, these things can be controlled.  We already see it a bit, apple products are built in China and the news occasionally covers a story about the conditions of the workers and apple promises to "do better".  If the imports were banned it would "do better" a whole lot quicker I expect.

That's only possible to some level though.  We can't for example force foreign companies to pay a UK minimum wage, nor would it necessarily even make sense, with the cost of living being very different depending on where you are.

Part of the issue is that the Chinese have sat there watching the west do what they want in pursuit of wealth for centuries paying little or no heed to people or the environment.

now after the west has broken it were asking the Chinese to help fix it at their cost.

difficult discussion I suppose.

Not really, two wrongs don't make a right and the single largest country in the world by a large way (by population) continues to break the environment then the human race will end up extinct.  It doesn't seem like a hard decision when it's a case of making money now but billions of people dying for it...

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Part of the issue is that the Chinese have sat there watching the west do what they want in pursuit of wealth for centuries paying little or no heed to people or the environment.

now after the west has broken it were asking the Chinese to help fix it at their cost.

difficult discussion I suppose.

The issue has come to head long after China was industrialised.