Climate Change thread

Check-out the Climate Change Tracker, see how well countries are doing to meet the notional 2 degree celsius target.
Notice that Russia, USA & Saudi Arabia are doing sod all. The upshot being the planet will probably zip past the 3 celsius mark.

https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/

Drinking water will become the first major issue,as we poision the rivers and oceans that supply our needs,that supply is already very acidic,70% of all supply is agricultural,the wash off with chemical content enters the supply chain,you can only wash acid for so long,the oceans are dying,have a look at the bay of bengal,64 000 square kms of dead sea.

Water supply will become a major issue within 10 years unless we de carbonate the atmosphere,coral reefs are already dying,pretty soon melting ice will release lethal levels of methane,which wont escape the atmosphere and will be1000s of times more lethal than carbon.

Some effects of global warming are unpredictable,we have so many echo systems that are finite in balance,the loss of just one could have catastrophic effects,and are irreversible

On 05/05/2019 at 01:31, staninoodle said:

Drinking water will become the first major issue,as we poision the rivers and oceans that supply our needs,that supply is already very acidic,70% of all supply is agricultural,the wash off with chemical content enters the supply chain,you can only wash acid for so long,the oceans are dying,have a look at the bay of bengal,64 000 square kms of dead sea.

Water supply will become a major issue within 10 years unless we de carbonate the atmosphere,coral reefs are already dying,pretty soon melting ice will release lethal levels of methane,which wont escape the atmosphere and will be1000s of times more lethal than carbon.

Some effects of global warming are unpredictable,we have so many echo systems that are finite in balance,the loss of just one could have catastrophic effects,and are irreversible

This is too much wisdom in one post. I really hope the Government is working toward this issues.

Edited by nikki-red

32 minutes ago, cristalker said:

This is too much wisdom in one post. I really hope the Government is working toward this issues.

It's scaremongering tripe. I'd put all my money on there being no issue with our water supply within 10 years.

9 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

It's scaremongering tripe. I'd put all my money on there being no issue with our water supply within 10 years.

That is a really large bet!

Should we be doing something, just in case there are issues 10-50 years ahead?

Its good to see our reliance on coal is dropping.

The power switch: tracking Britain's record coal-free run

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/may/25/the-power-switch-tracking-britains-record-coal-free-run

And as I type, wind power providing 20% of our energy needs.

https://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

Should we be doing something, just in case there are issues 10-50 years ahead?

We could start by sorting out the horrendous state the distribution network is in.

On 01/05/2019 at 17:37, ANGELFIRE1 said:

As we make 0.7% of the worlds pollution whatever we do to reduce it farther is a compete and utter waste of time. Get the real polluters on board, USA, China and India then progress can be made. Otherwise it's like piddling in the sea and thinking it will make a difference.

Angel1.

Or set environmental rules that we stick to, and any imports made by methods that don't either dont get in or are tariffed up to the eyeballs.

2 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

Or set environmental rules that we stick to, and any imports made by methods that don't either dont get in or are tariffed up to the eyeballs.

Good luck with that one, can't see it happening.

Angel1.

Just now, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Good luck with that one, can't see it happening.

Angel1.

Maybe. But why set rules, for ourselves, then buy stuff that is made by methods that don't have to comply?

3 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Maybe. But why set rules, for ourselves, then buy stuff that is made by methods that don't have to comply?

There is the problem. We CANNOT at present under EU law help our heavy industries aka British Steel. While the Chinese make half of the WORLDS steel using mainly coal to generate their power and it's heavily subsidised, then they flood the market with it.  

Angel1.