Climate Change thread

25 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

No it isn't. Climate change existing is one thing, the degree to which anthropogenic climate change is affecting the overall climate by itself is another. As shown in the blog link posted by another user a few pages ago, it's far from being cut and dry, but the BBC is selective in how it presents the evidence so they can, effectively, brain wash the masses who cannot be bothered to think for themselves, and/or for those who only want to see the fashionable side of the argument to give themselves an identity.

There isn’t a credible scientific body that doesn’t accept the causes and potentially catastrophic effects of man made climate change. Instead of reading blog posts, spend a bit of time on the Royal Society website,  or on the Royal Society of Chemistry website.

Both have extensive areas that gather together masses  of research. It really doesn’t make for pretty reading.

The BBC are absolutely correct to ignore the fringe elements in this debate.  I know that it is trendy to ignore experts these days. This issue is far too serious to be a slave to fashion 

10 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I'm sorry but I'm not going to be urinating into containers and using it for plant watering any time soon. We're a civilised society. Where do you think water goes when flushed down the toilet anyway? It doesn't magically disappear.

I have a bucket on my allotment. When I’ve peed into it, I pour it onto my compost heap.  It is an age old trick.

I get lovely cabbages and it hasn’t affected my civility😀

Edited by Pettytom

I was in a 2nd hand / antique / junk shop yesterday (bought an old "Lee's dairies" milk bottle).

There was a short queue of old ladies at the counter, they were talking about climate change (Time we did something, every little helps, etc.)

People are talking about change, it's a start! ...

23 hours ago, despritdan said:

There are simple things which everybody could do which would make a lot of difference. I recently read a magazine article which said that human urine is one of the best plant nutrients, so I now have a 1 litre glass jar in the bathroom which I pee into instead of wasting gallons of water flushing away a few millilitres of waste every day. When it's full, I pour the contents into a watering can and fill it with water to water the plants. It not only cuts the amount of water I'm taking from the reservoirs but will also cut my water bills. If everybody in the country did this, it would save huge amounts of water and postpone the day when our reservoirs finally run dry.

If you want to do that it's fine, but as WO said, flushing water away doesn't magically make it disappear.

We aren't going to run out of water in the UK, you might have noticed that it rains a lot.

In parts of Britain, we rely on extracting water from aquifers (about a quarter?), These resources are replenished slowly, and some of them are being used faster than is sustainable.

Every litre of water that comes out of our taps has to be processed, and pumped.

It's really quite an intensive substance, both from an energy and infrastructure perspective. Have you noticed how good we are at building infrastructure in this country? No, neither have I...

(We're not 'running out', but we're flirting heavily with our capacity to extract/process/pump the stuff)

Edited by ads36

I had to look this up and do a bit of reading, interesting subject

Climate change impact

Climate change impacts by 2040
Figure 2: climate change impacts by 2040.

As part of the water resources management planning process, water companies were also required to estimate the effect that climate change might have on the availability of water in their supply areas. These impacts are a combination of the predicted effect of climate change on groundwater levels, plus the resilience of the water supply system to climate change, such as borehole depths and pump intake depths.

Our plot of estimated climate change impacts on groundwater deployable output (DO) (Figure 2) suggests that the models used calculate that relatively small impacts (zero across more than half of England, and less than five per cent across the rest of England and Wales) are expected. Again, companies have had to consider supply or demand management options to ensure they can continue to meet demand given these likely future reductions in supply from existing sources.

Small levels of impact expected due to climate change.  Saving your pee appears to be entirely unnecessary given the picture painted here.

From https://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/groundwater/waterResources/GroundwaterInUK/2040.html

Just a though but why isn't there an insistence that every new build, (including & especially local authority properties),  have to have, where feasible, solar panels fitted & appropriately sized wind turbines? 

It'll all contribute to helping the environment,  provide plenty of work in the manufacturing process & start to bring the product price down. 

Small,  aggregated changes eventually go a long way. 

wind turbines : there's a massive loss of efficiency at the small scale.

(don't build 1,000,000 small turbines, put all the resources into one really big one)

solar panels : they're still quite expensive, adding a lot of cost to already expensive houses.

(an array of meaningful size will cost thousands, with 10-20 years payback)

44 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Just a though but why isn't there an insistence that every new build, (including & especially local authority properties),  have to have, where feasible, solar panels fitted & appropriately sized wind turbines? 

It'll all contribute to helping the environment,  provide plenty of work in the manufacturing process & start to bring the product price down. 

Small,  aggregated changes eventually go a long way. 

If only we had some sort group of elected representatives who might be able to make that law. Or even another group of people who could stipulate it’s part of a planning application, and it won’t get passed without significant environmental savings. 

But move a green belt line a bit to fit a few more houses in? No problem!

As we make 0.7% of the worlds pollution whatever we do to reduce it farther is a compete and utter waste of time. Get the real polluters on board, USA, China and India then progress can be made. Otherwise it's like piddling in the sea and thinking it will make a difference.

Angel1.

On 27/04/2019 at 11:28, ads36 said:

That blog that's full of lies and cherry picking? That blog?

Right.

This one,

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

As we make 0.7% of the worlds pollution whatever we do to reduce it farther is a compete and utter waste of time. Get the real polluters on board, USA, China and India then progress can be made. Otherwise it's like piddling in the sea and thinking it will make a difference.

Angel1.

How about we lead by example? How about we reduce particulates in our cities?