Climate Change thread

Climate change can't be solved with a bit of tinkering round the edges which is what we've got now.

We need wholesale systemic change.

We cannot go on expecting constant economic growth to be powered by rampant consumerism. Less consumerism might help the planet but will probably cost jobs etc etc and similar problems all the way down the line.  It's going to be complicated, messy and difficult. The only hope is that governments of the world can find a way of working together to solve this, but since when has that ever happened?

They need to start by tackling the mass producers of CO2, and making sure the solutions are equitable and affect those at the top with moneyto dodge round the issues, as much as those at the bottom of the scale. They won't like it of course - but then neither will anyone else, me included.   

Less consumerism will help but that wont happen. Less people will help, that wont happen either - the global population has doubled in 50 years.

There is no political will to change, and that change needs to be global anyway. That's not happening either. Good luck to the protesters in London today, but they're wasting their time. We in the West might be inconvenienced (poorer countries are already feeling it much harder) with a flood here or a drought there - their grandkids are ****ed.

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:20, MAC33 said:

One of the sad features of modern life is that not only are people in the west getting progressively dumber, but they are proudly embracing that dumbness as a badge of honour.

41 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Less consumerism will help but that wont happen. Less people will help, that wont happen either - the global population has doubled in 50 years.

There is no political will to change, and that change needs to be global anyway. That's not happening either. Good luck to the protesters in London today, but they're wasting their time. We in the West might be inconvenienced (poorer countries are already feeling it much harder) with a flood here or a drought there - their grandkids are ****ed.

There is plenty of political will to change.  However, no action aside from tinkering at the edges will happen because real substantive moves mean a major lifestyle change for populations, and no government wants to push that as it is political suicide.

2 minutes ago, bendix said:

One of the sad features of modern life is that not only are people in the west getting progressively dumber, but they are proudly embracing that dumbness as a badge of honour.

There is plenty of political will to change.  However, no action aside from tinkering at the edges will happen because real substantive moves mean a major lifestyle change for populations, and no government wants to push that as it is political suicide.

I disagree with the first line of the last paragraph, agree with the rest.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I disagree with the first line of the last paragraph, agree with the rest.

The ability of global leaders (with notable exceptions) to sign up to Paris demonstrates political will.  It all falls short when it comes to substantive changes that will make a more telling difference than spouting platitudes.

1 minute ago, bendix said:

The ability of global leaders (with notable exceptions) to sign up to Paris demonstrates political will.  It all falls short when it comes to substantive changes that will make a more telling difference than spouting platitudes.

It's always fallen massively short, but since trump has binned it, it's pretty much pointless. 

Problem is that it's a steady drip effect. Hurricane flattens a big chunk of the Caribbean - donate a tenner. Worried about plastic in the oceans? Buy a wristband. I think to see any kind of change, you need a proper global event that kills alot of people and by people I mean western people. Bangladesh could be completely washed away and it won't spur much action in the US or here for that matter apart from an advert where an erstwhile tom Hiddleston asks you for another tenner.

Nothing else will do it Im afraid.

On 15/04/2019 at 14:47, tinfoilhat said:

It's always fallen massively short, but since trump has binned it, it's pretty much pointless. 

Problem is that it's a steady drip effect. Hurricane flattens a big chunk of the Caribbean - donate a tenner. Worried about plastic in the oceans? Buy a wristband. I think to see any kind of change, you need a proper global event that kills alot of people and by people I mean western people. Bangladesh could be completely washed away and it won't spur much action in the US or here for that matter apart from an advert where an erstwhile tom Hiddleston asks you for another tenner.

Sadly, I fear you are probably right.

Elsewhere on the forum I have pointed out that students 'face decades of debt', that 'our children cannot hope to buy a house', and that 'we have delivered the young into the hands of the loan-mongers and landlords'. Of course such points are of no consequence whatsoever if we leave our children with nothing to breathe.

On 15/04/2019 at 14:47, tinfoilhat said:

It would give sting and geldoff summat else to campain for. It gives multi millionaires a good feeling preaching to the masses.

Angel1.

Just now, ANGELFIRE1 said:

It would give sting and geldoff summat else to campain for. It gives multi millionaires a good feeling preaching to the masses.

Angel1.

spot on mate 

22 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Like Farage and "Mogg the Magnificent"?

Edited by Mister Gee

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Are you ignoring the message or just using somebody's wealth to have a pop at them? And if it's the latter, why do you give the likes of rees mogg a free ride?