Open land behind the gym at Mcdonalds Tankersely

There is open land behind the industrial estate near McDonald's at Tankersley.

We use to walk our dog there along with other people we saw on our travels. Dogs off lead running around. We went one day and found notices to day "dogs not on leads will be shot".

I was wondering if land owners had changed hands or if there was a problem.

Anyone any info?

You might want to make a police report about what you've found, they will want to know about nutters with firearms making threats to the public.

In some restricted circumstances farmers can shoot dogs (that are worrying their livestock and not under control for example), but anyone discharging a firearm in even the approximate direction of people or at an animal with the limited circumstances would be committing a serious crime. If the land is publicly accessible then even having a firearm there is likely to be a crime (farmland not being publicly accessible except where rights of way cross it).

I'd second what geared says, report it to the police on the non emergency number, 101.

There is some fields nearby but I don't remember loads of livestock being on them.

Like Cyclone said a dog would have to be out of control and putting the lives of animals at risk for it to be justified, there might also be restrictions on the types of animals this covers ie sheep/cattle but not game birds or the like.

If they think they can go ahead and point guns at dogs and/or owners as they please they'll soon find the firearms unit kicking their door in and dragging them off to the station for a chat.

Add your own sign beneath it:

WARNING! The discharging of firearms or making threats with the use of firearms will be reported to the police as a criminal matter.

In some restricted circumstances farmers can shoot dogs (that are worrying their livestock and not under control for example), but anyone discharging a firearm in even the approximate direction of people or at an animal with the limited circumstances would be committing a serious crime. If the land is publicly accessible then even having a firearm there is likely to be a crime (farmland not being publicly accessible except where rights of way cross it).

I'd second what geared says, report it to the police on the non emergency number, 101.

Almost right. The land I shot over was criss crossed by a couple or three public footpaths. It did not restrict me from having firearms back in the day. Obviously the main criteria was if some one was walking across a field or fields on a footpath, you either waited while they had gone, or you went to another farm, another farm been the better option.

Also you did have to have WRITTEN permission from the Land Holder before you could shoot over his/her Land, a nod and a handshake was not good enough.

As for the Dog issue, laws evolve over time, but if I remember correctly in my day, the dog had to be shot in the act of attacking livestock, not at the other end of a 10 acre field.

Angel1.

I didn't say that you couldn't discharge it over a right of way though :-)

For an organised shoot (clay pigeon for example) rights of way are often temporarily closed, but as you say generally if you can see that the right of way is clear AND that right of way is part of the land you have permission to shoot on, then you're okay.

Discharging from one field to another over a road, even if it were empty, that wouldn't be okay, because that land isn't owned by the farmer.

Discharging from one field to another over a road, even if it were empty, that wouldn't be okay, because that land isn't owned by the farmer.

Are there restrictions on how close to a main road you are allowed to use a firearm for shoots??

I mean we're not talking about some deserted farm in the Peaks, this is a field that has the A616 running along one side of it.

Are there restrictions on how close to a main road you are allowed to use a firearm for shoots??

I mean we're not talking about some deserted farm in the Peaks, this is a field that has the A616 running along one side of it.

Within 50 feet of the center of the carriageway.

I was recently walking along a public c footpath in Chapeltown next to fields where a man was shooting birds (wood pigeon mainly I think). The shot was literally dropping out of the sky into the trees directly over my head :mad:

... only "if in consequence a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered".

Really? Seems quite close.