Wheelchair accessible Taxis

Yes they do. But the Equality Act means it’s illegal to charge a person with a disability more than anyone else for services provided.

It's not the person it's the loading and unloading the wheelchair which takes time.if the cabbie was allowed to put the meter on when first opening the door then that would help to change the drivers mind set.but alas things will stay the same

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. We are desperately trying to organise a wheelchair accessible Taxi for my dad on Sunday. It's a wedding and he's so wanting to be there. I've booked one with City but they can't guarantee they will be able to get us there for the time the wedding starts (we've booked it 2 hours in advance which due to his condition is not helpful at all)

Can anyone help or advise?? Thanks in advance x

Your best bet would be to talk to a black can driver who has a suitable carriage and see if you can get them to do it.

City can't guarantee as they will put the job up on the day and it depends if anyone is available

I live in S26 and bought a group 3 scooter to get about I cannot use a bus because it is not small enough .I cannot take it by the local taxi firm they only carry up tp group 2. Door to Door operate restricted in the week and stop at the most tomes when you wish to go out at night. The government did a survey earlier this year I have not seen anything mentioned as to results or improvement for disabled people. Only what the locl councils will not do.

Class 3 mobility scooters are road-going and some have a decent range hence why they are large and too large for to be transported by anything other than a van or trailer.

May I ask why you thought it necessary to purchase a Class 3?

I was wondering if the situation regarding going in taxis in wheelchairs has changed at all since the last post. I'd really liketo get my very elderly housebound mother (who can't walk) out of the house occasionally, especially now she's been diagnosed with dementia. What I really need is to be able to book in advance for both legs of the journey. I can't risk getting stranded. 

22 hours ago, REMF33 said:

I was wondering if the situation regarding going in taxis in wheelchairs has changed at all since the last post. I'd really liketo get my very elderly housebound mother (who can't walk) out of the house occasionally, especially now she's been diagnosed with dementia. What I really need is to be able to book in advance for both legs of the journey. I can't risk getting stranded. 

Hi, You could try Manor Community Transport, they will only accept a booking if they can provide a driver and minibus, so you would not be stranded. Depends which area you live and where you want to go and time etc. as drivers are volunteers. If your mum is in a wheelchair, it would have to have been crash test approved, unless she is able to transfer to a seat on the bus.

http://www.manorcommunitytransport.org.uk/

Hope this is helpful, and you are succesful.

Edited by Ian35
I meant to add that staff have had dementia awareness training, and are all DBS checked. If you want any further info, you could pm me, I will try and assist further.

Guest busdriver1

I find this thread interesting. For years now, buses have been required by law to be wheelchair accessible. Taxis want to be seen as public transport but are a long way behind. Such a shame that the industry looks like it will have to be forced despite the indications being there that it is coming. 

On 05/07/2021 at 17:15, busdriver1 said:

I find this thread interesting. For years now, buses have been required by law to be wheelchair accessible. Taxis want to be seen as public transport but are a long way behind. Such a shame that the industry looks like it will have to be forced despite the indications being there that it is coming. 

IIRC several councils are forging ahead with making all of their Hackney vehicles wheelchair accessable. I believe Knowsley have already acheived this. 

In London I believe all the Black Cabs are wheelchair accessible. They have the 2 seats that fold down and a ramp. Mini cabs are different as it depends on the type of vehicle.  Your not going to get one in a  Prius unless you can fold it up and it fits in the boot.  That 'll only work if the person is able to get out of the wheelchair.  Buses are a lot bigger so it's easier to get a wheelchair on.

Edited by Zinger549

2 hours ago, Resident said:

IIRC several councils are forging ahead with making all of their Hackney vehicles wheelchair accessable. I believe Knowsley have already acheived this. 

Sheffield has had a 100% wheelchair accessible hackney fleet since the late 90’s. 

Sheffield has been fully wheelchair accessible Taxis since 1994 approximately.As I have said before Black cab drivers will not run for wheelchair jobs until you are able to charge more than meter rate.They never get used to doing it and realising that it can be swiftly completed.ironically private hire companies with black cabs on their books do charge more than meter rate,they receive the extra (on credit work at least).Also ironically the majority of wheelchair uses are quite happy to be charged more,so long as they receive the service.

On 06/07/2021 at 19:51, Resident said:

All black cabs throughout the country are wheelchair accessible and have been since approximately 1994