Wheelchair accessible Taxis

I know that I and many other wheelchair users are extremely fed up with the terrible service from Sheffield taxi companies.

If I order a taxi and a suitable one arrives on time I consider myself to be extremely lucky.

I am sick of being treated as a third rate citizen, for example, last Sunday I ordered a large euro cab to take me to an important meeting approximately 2.5 miles away. The meeting was to start at 10.30am so I ordered a taxi for 9.30am, I was sent a text stating that my taxi would be delayed. After one hour and several phone calls I finally gave up and had to miss the meeting.

On Thursday I ordered three taxis, firstly one to take me to a funeral at Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium about a mile and a quarter away. I ordered it one and a quarter hours early because of my previous problems, it actually arrived even earlier so I had a long wait at the crematorium. After the service I had ordered another taxi to take me to St. Luke’s Hospice. This one never turned up so I had to return to base on my electric wheelchair missing the rest of a very good friends funeral.

On Thursday I also ordered two more taxis to take me about four miles to Loxley and the return. The outward turned up fine, but the return was a SMALL euro cab and after getting my £8,000 wheelchair stuck I had to be removed and wait for another cab.

Tomorrow I have ordered three cabs for two important meetings, what will happen?

If anyone knows of, or offers a reliable taxi cab that treats disabled people with humanity and respect please let me know.

Have you talked to Sheffield Community Transport?

Which taxi service are you 'trying to use'?

There are 857 wheelchair accessible taxis in Sheffield (all of them)and of that maybe 200 of the bigger eurocabs .There are a few factors why you are not getting a good service. Number 1 is that not all of them are on a radio system or do ph jobs(stood on ranks instead).secondly they get paid no extra for doing wheelchair jobs consequently never getting into the hang of doing them and realising how swiftly they could complete them.obviously you would say why should you pay more but,isn't community transport subsidised?,they get paid more .Obviously there would be outrage at such a thought but,I fear your dilemma will continue if no incentive is in place as it hasn't been for the last 23 years.

I have been told that Community Transport require three months notice.

I am not looking for charity and I am fully prepared to pay a fair price for a fair job. I am certainly not naive and realise that a large Euro Cab must cost considerably more to purchase than a normal cab.

Once I had a Mercedes Benz cab which was jolly super, I asked the owner for his personal phone number which he wouldn’t give.

I am perfectly happy to negotiate a fair fare privately for a satisfactory service.

I am not looking for charity and I am fully prepared to pay a fair price for a fair job. I am certainly not naive and realise that a large Euro Cab must cost considerably more to purchase than a normal cab.

Once I had a Mercedes Benz cab which was jolly super, I asked the owner for his personal phone number which he wouldn’t give.

I am perfectly happy to negotiate a fair fare privately for a satisfactory service.

You shouldn’t be paying extra just because you are disabled imo.

I would actually get in touch with taxi licensing and report the firms that have let you down so far.

Unless such a cab is on top of a job then why should they come running from miles away to get you,that's loss making.That is the dilemma the council will not allow a hackney to charge extra,so why run for it?.customers wouldn't mind paying that bit more but alas the poor service will continue!

Unless such a cab is on top of a job then why should they come running from miles away to get you,that's loss making.That is the dilemma the council will not allow a hackney to charge extra,so why run for it?.customers wouldn't mind paying that bit more but alas the poor service will continue!

its illegal to charge extra so not within the Councils power to allow such an extra charge.

I live in S26 and bought a group 3 scooter to get about I cannot use a bus because it is not small enough .I cannot take it by the local taxi firm they only carry up tp group 2. Door to Door operate restricted in the week and stop at the most tomes when you wish to go out at night. The government did a survey earlier this year I have not seen anything mentioned as to results or improvement for disabled people. Only what the locl councils will not do.

The council sets the tarrif within their own area

They sound like they are breaking the Disability Discrimination act 2010. For whatever that is worth. (Wherever an able person can go so should a disabled person).

Naive question: can Uber accommodate customers who use wheelchairs?

The council sets the tarrif within their own area

Yes they do. But the Equality Act means it’s illegal to charge a person with a disability more than anyone else for services provided.