Do you feel safe in Sheffield?

Do forum members believe Sheffield is a safe city?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do forum members believe Sheffield is a safe city?

• Yes
    • No

Guest busdriver1
I seem to recall that an bus driver was attacked he had his face slashed by an knife it was a few years ago in a bus robbery no idea if they were caught.

No idea, dont live in Sheffield now after my experiences there.

Why would I offer an opinion based on anything other than my own experiences? :huh:

I can't speak for you or your experiences, I certainly don't think that we can guess that you had a gun pointed at you in Sheffield... So why didn't you just say so?

Guest busdriver1
I can't speak for you or your experiences, I certainly don't think that we can guess that you had a gun pointed at you in Sheffield... So why didn't you just say so?

Strangely its not an experience I enjoy re-living.

Strangely I couldn't guess that it happened though until you said so...

Guest busdriver1
Strangely I couldn't guess that it happened though until you said so...

Police and council were pretty laid back about it. They solved it in their own way. They re-housed ME.:loopy:

Sheffield is perfectly safe. Always has been, even in the areas of Sheffield that other Sheffielders think are 'dodgy'. Peoples' perceptions and feelings to the contrary are largely driven by a steady diet of media reporting designed to sell newspapers/clicks/viewer numbers by giving you an adrenaline rush, by their own biases and bigotry against social class/race/religion/age groups etc and in my experience a certain amount of people egging each other, Four Yorkshiremen-style, to come up with tales of crime that they have no personal experience of but that they've 'heard' from other people.

Just a few months ago we had this telling us that officially we're one of the cities with the lowest crime rates.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/state-of-sheffield-report-city-has-some-of-lowest-rates-of-violent-crime-1-9058456

Feeling unsafe does not mean you are. Most of the time it just means you're paranoid.

Good points.

I recall reading books way back in the late 70s, about media shock tactics to justify random harassment of black people.

These days it`s seemingly a media fuelled malaise of depression caused by hearing of the latest knife murder etc.

---------- Post added 26-10-2018 at 10:28 ----------

As a hospital worker I do not feel safe even at work in Sheffield.

It's the same area's every time and if you're from Sheffield you know where they are.

So if you're thinking of moving here do your homework!

even though we had a murder in lowedges,it was drug related and these tend to only affect that type of person,but basically my tennants i talk to seem to think our areas okay

I feel far safer here than in Leeds. And I’m from Leeds! The only time I ever feel a threat is the West St/Dev St area on a Friday or Saturday night, or down near Tank  or Howard St. - all the drunk Lads and Blokes ready to get aggressive with anyone they don’t like. Most of Leeds is like that but in Sheffield it’s very localised and easy to avoid. Doesn’t stop me going into town though. 

I feel reasonably safe here even when walking through areas many perceive as 'dodgy'.  Most violent crimes in recent years/months seem to be 'beneficiary of the city of sanctuary' on  'beneficiary of the city of sanctuary'. Not ideal, and not good for our reputation but most of us can probably live with that I suppose.

8 hours ago, Martin C said:

I feel reasonably safe here even when walking through areas many perceive as 'dodgy'.  Most violent crimes in recent years/months seem to be 'beneficiary of the city of sanctuary' on  'beneficiary of the city of sanctuary'. Not ideal, and not good for our reputation but most of us can probably live with that I suppose.

I think the key word in that sentence I've emboldened is ''seem''. I'm pretty confident that an examination of the facts would suggest that you're wrong and it's just lazy racial stereotyping on your part.